IKEA Glass Cabinet Assembly by Jeffrey Dach

IKEA Glass Cabinet Assembly by Jeffrey Dach

The Ikea store in Sunrise Florida is so huge is can be overwhelming. Best way to describe it is culture shock. Everything comes from Sweden, even the food at the cafeteria. Its very organized and prices are the low considering the quality. I bought the Norden glass cabinet.

Although IKEA offers delivery and assembly, I opted to pick up and assemble on my own. The boxes came out to the loading dock 15 minutes after I paid at the register. The boxes were large and heavy and I worried everything would not fit into my small car. Best to use a van if you plan to buy anything large. However, they have help at the loading dock and the assistant adjusted the front passenger seat of my car into a horizontal position and somehow managed to fit everything in.

Once at the destination, it is best to have two people unload.

Assembly: I was impressed and actually amazed at how the parts fit together so well, and how easy the assembly went. Assembly goes better with a adjustable speed power rechargable drill/ screwdriver. Also best to have an assortment of hex attachements to fit into your power screwdriver. These are available at the hardware store or home depot. A power tool is better than the hex wrench that comes with the Ikea Kit which is small and hard on the hands.

Once assembled, I discovered there were only three glass shelves and I really needed a fourth shelf for my design. Called Ikea for assistance, and they really don't have an extra shelf unless someone returns a unit and spare parts are lying around at the store. The local store didn't have any extra glass shelves either. I ended up going to Home Depot and having a pieve of all-purpose shelf board cut to size and used that. Also used small dowel fragments for the shelf pins.

Final words: Although I noticed that some others have had trouble or bad experiences with IKEA, I found the experience to be a positive one. Its a plus if you like to assemble things. I was quite pleased with the final appearance and functionality of the glass cabinet. It is actually quite elegant. There are optional lighting kits available that makes it even better. These lights go in the top and shine through the glass shelves I did not install this to avoid the extra heat generated by lights.

IKEA NORDEN Glass-door cabinet Designer: Mikael Warnhammar IKEA

Disclosure: Note that I have no financial interest or relationship with IKEA.

posted by Jeffrey Dach

Reply to
jeffrey dach

On 1/5/2011 2:40 AM jeffrey dach spake thus:

[snip]

Those hex wrenches are often the weak point of a lot of knock-down furniture kits. As I remember the Ikea ones aren't too bad, but typically they're very soft steel which often gets rounded off on the very first screw you try to tighten.

Plan on having a real set of hex wrenches (in both metric and SAE sizes). Handy tools to have around anyway.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl