Subject Author Posted Replies

Home Center Storage Cabinets: How they get you.
I bought a 48" ClosetMaid wardrobe cabinet at Home Depot this weekend. 's how they get you...or at least how they got me: At $108 the price was very comfortable. I read the description and looked at...
3
3

OT - Air vid of the wave that hit Japan
Sorry for OT, but this is by far the best vid of the tidal wave that hit Japan. So sadly impressive.
4
4

Sump pumps, storm drain, french drains and flooding
I've been consulting with a neighbor about upgrading his sump pump system after a nasty failure. We've already replaced the existing pump that sits in a sump at the foot of the basement steps, outside...
32
32

Moulding/Trim Question
I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet. I am at a loss as to...
15
15

A couple of electrical queries
Hello all, Hope someone can shed some lights on the following: 1. I ran a #14 for under-cabinet lights/strips. The lights will be switched on/off from a wall switch. Do I need a metal J-box and BX...
4
4

Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing
We have a residential energy program here in Ontario (Canada) that I really don't agree with (called the Micro-Fit program) where the electricity from roof-mounted solar panels is purchased by the...
178
178

The CLUNK (in ductwork) that just won't go away ...
This is just a shot in the dark. The problem (described below) persists. I had removed the register, added new rope caulk to seal around perimeter, and replaced register. And it worked: the CLUNK went...
10
10

Sunken driveway
My mother's house is 55 yrs. old. Her driveway has sunken and I am wondering why. Maybe it is the water supply from the city ? As in the void from the water supply ?
5
5

Wood doors repair
I belong to a little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, built in 1954, detached frame garage. Wood doors are all of wood segments commonly joined by woodwork that looks something like...
3
3

White marks/stains on cedar fence
I had my cedar fence pressure washed and now I have lots of white "stains" on the fence from a sprinkler system. Anyone know what these stains are and how I might remove the white stains? Thanks,...

wheat straw has white growth, bad for new grass ?
i have some wheat straw i planed to cover a large patch of bare dirt=20 that I prepped, spread new seed and starter fertilizer. The wheat straw was very damp and had some white fuzzy growth in it=20...
2
2

Sunken Driveway Slab @ Garage Door
Problem: Driveway slab sinks as much as 2 inches at garage door. Past Remedy: Mudjacked 3 years ago. Sunk again. Comments: There's obviously a cavity being created by water seeping from somewhere...
7
7

What to use to clean toilet scale
My toilet has a buildup of scale. I guess my water has a lot of calcium or something like that. Using bleach makes it look whiter, but the buildup is still there. Commercial toilet cleaners do not...
14
14

Home computer problem
Sorry, I guess this is OT, but I have seen other computer questions addressed in here. I have the darndest problem I ever heard of. Using Win-7 Home Edition Premium. Using IE (Internet Explorer) or...
121
121

stripping zinc with vinegar update
finally got started on this stripping project. Yesterday evening, I poured a 32"oz bottle of white vinegar in a plastic container and placed the 4 zinc plates in there. let sit over night. checked...
8
8