OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

OT Your opinion?

On a 3-day weekend a while back I went to a singles event at a beach front hotel

On Saturday a woman at least 30 y.o. had heard that I lived in the same city she did, and asked me for a ride home on Monday. (Most of those there came from my city or another one.)

I said, "Sure. I drive a convertible."

How should she have interpreted those words?

She didn't say anything about the car in return. Come Sunday, we left at 3 or 4, on a beautiful summer day, and as usual for me, I had the top down. My friend who I came with was in the passenger seat and she and a girlfriend were in the back seat. She asks me to put the top up. I said, "I told you I had a convertible."

I figured, Why would I mention that if I wasn't planning to put the top down? (With the top up, it's like any other car.) She had two days to get a ride with someone else if that was a problem. I would have looked for a ride for her, too.

Reply to
mm

Maybe she had never rode in the backseat of a convertible before and didn't think it was a problem. If that is the case, she learned something didn't she?

Or, she is a controlling bitch that figured you would obey her demands.

She is 30 y.o. and single, she obviously has issues.

Since there were others in the car, I would've taken a vote to see what the others wanted.

What did you do?

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Andy comments: If you didn't want to do it, then you could have just said " The mechanism is broken and it won't go up. Would you like for me to drop you off somewhere ?"

Lying is a good way to dismiss someone's request without saying anything overt to cause a disagreement. Politicians do it all the time...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe her hair was blowing in her face. Maybe she'd never been in a convertible before, and didn't realize the backwash you get when riding in one with the top down.

Reply to
Tegger

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as "Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you). If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.

Reply to
Bob Villa

It's special to know that when you extend a courtesy to someone you only extend it so far.

The world would probably have stopped revolving if you had put up the top, life would have lost meaning, and you would have become a bitter old man. You dodged a bullet there, Sparky.

BTW, actions like that are a reason why you're going to singles events.

RicodJour

"mm" wrote

I take it that you have a car where the top goes down. I also take it that on a nice day, you will have the top down. I've owned a couple of convertibles and the top was down if the temperature was above 60 and it was not raining.

These days, I'm far more likely to have the AC on and windows closed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As words of someone trying to make points?

Which would be meaningless to someone who never rode in one and never experienced a ride in turbulent wind tunnel. I owned one convertible in my life and wouldn't buy another.

Reply to
George

"I'll put my top up if you take yours down"(?)

Reply to
HeyBub

Maybe if you had put your top up, she would have let her top down.

-C-

Reply to
Country

=3D=3D What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be explained but I don't expect an acceptable answer.

My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science. Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with the top up didn't kill you...grow up. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Tegger wrote the following:

Of the two convertibles I owned back in the late '50s ('56 and '57 Fords), I found that in order to prevent back seat passenger's hair from blowing in their face, you had to do 70 MPH so that the air stream off the windshield fell behind the rear seat. If no rear passengers, 50 MPH was enough to keep front seat driver and passenger's hair from blowing in their face.

Reply to
willshak

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I own the car and I want it down. Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Why in the hell did you go to a singles event then?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Tell me, Grasshoppah. What did you learn from this experience?

Reply to
Steve B

"Metspitzer" wrote

A perfectly good reason.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL. Definitely wasn't trying to impress her, only to warn her. It never occurred to me until you said it that she might have thought that. I meant it as a synonym for top being down, but maybe she didnt' take it that way.

For sure. I regret that I didn't say that, but I'm trying to figure out how unclear I was.

I wish I had also said, "I'm glad to have your company, but if you don't want the top down, you also have two days to find a ride that's not a convertible." See again, it comes out with no specific reference to the top being down. I guess to be sure I would have had to say, "to find a ride with someone who won't put the top down."

I appreciate your answering the question. It's the only question I asked and the only one I gave full background for. There's a lot I left out that's needed to answer any other question.

And I'll add this for the other postsrs, that the reason I was willing to use my car on the trip instead of my male friend's, do all the driving, and pay for all the gas was that no matter what the rest of the trip is like, I know I'll enjoy the drive each way. My friend knew the top would be down, but I don't remember how I said it. Maybe he brought it up first, wanted me to take my car with the top down. Yes, I think he suggested it.

She had sunglasses, and I offered her one of those cloth-covered rubber bands uses for pony-tails, which I keep in the car specifcally for those with long hair. I also carry spare sunglasses. And I think convertibles are famous for being windy, and most people think they are more windy than they really are. She may have said something about the sun on her skin, but it was 4PM and getting later.

Reply to
mm

Yes, it's really not that windy back there. It surprised me when I found out, riding in the back seat myself. The windshield shields all the seats from most of the wind. I thought it was like riding a horse, because without the steering wheel to hold on to all I had was the seat.

Another indication is the rain. At highway speeds the rear seats don't get wet. not even the backs of the rear seats. There is some breeze, and if a light-weight piece of paper gets caught in it, it will blow but not very fast, from the front seat to the back, then down and back towards the front seat again, and around in circles.

In the glove compartment, I kept a couple of the cloth covered rubber bands just so a woman could tie her hair up. I offered her one and she didn't want it. I don't think she complained about her hair. She also didn't say anything about not realizing the top would be down, either because she thought I should just do what she wanted, or because she did understand me in the first place when I said convertible.

Reply to
mm

"Gee, Officer, no - there's no fire. I was doing 70 as a courtesy to my passengers in the rear."

;)

RicodJour

Well, after I read that line I assumed the rest of the post was going to be about how she thought you were trying to impress her, which is at least as reasonable of an interpretation, especially for anyone who's never ridden in a convertible with the top down (if you've only seen it on TV or in the movies, you might think your hair wouldn't move). Not to mention that this is a singles event where she's had guys trying to impress her for the last 3 days...

You probably could have spared another 3 seconds to be more clear...

Reply to
Larry Fishel