OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

For the record, I did not invite her. She asked if she could come and I said sure or maybe okay.

And while in print, she could have taken "I have a covertible" to mean I was trying to impress her, live in person, it was much less likely. I didn't say it with pride or enthusiasm or energy or any such intonation in my voice, but seriously, in a monotone, immediately after saying she could come. almost without a pause between "sure" and "I". It was part of the terms she was agreeing to, as I saw it.

I do regret that I wasn't more clear.

What we had was I think "no meeting of the minds." I agreed to one thing and she agreed to another, perhaps because she stopped paying attention afer I said "sure".

Reply to
mm

[...]

This is a test. I posted a Reply to one of the posters on this thread. It didn't appear. I posted it again. It didn't appear. Just curious if there is a way for the target poster to "block" a Reply.

Info appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Aboslutely. No one enterned my car for 7 years when I had the alarm. I had prominent stop-sign shaped decals right by the front door locks. I had even put an imitation hood release under the bumper or grill and it's only job was to set off the alarm. One time when I was parked in a quiet area near the business district, I came back to the car and the led showed that the alarm had been triggered. The doors were all locked so it might have been because of the "hood release".

Later when I got the space in the lot, when the siren went off, he left. He came back later, slit the top and came in without opening the door.

They make a sonar attachment which will set off the alarm if someone comes in by slitting the top, or by climgin over the rrunk if the top is down. I have it but haven't installed it, since there's so little problem around here, and it only works after the top is slashed. I was thinking of lining the top with alarm trigger wire in a grid, but there's so little problem around here.

Reply to
mm

Google hasn't been working right since Friday, but this one is here now, and there are two in a row in answer to Hank. They showed up in the last couple hours.

Reply to
mm

"Han" wrote

For us it was '62 and '66. Still keeping her. May discard the kids though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Frank" wrote

In some states, the occupant (or their parent in the car) gets the ticket.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Let's see... Met in 9th grade in '66, married in '71 (Sunday before last was our 40th) and took her to Alabama in '08. I can't shake her either. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Are they *still* living in your basement?! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Didn't work for us (apartment, either).

Reply to
krw

It has for me.

Those are the things no perp wants.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, come to think of it, that was the last time I went to Costco for tires.

Reply to
krw

Has she gone Alabamastan native yet? You may have noticed some differences here than in other parts of the country. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

essentially,the alarm is to alert YOU,not anyone else. and you have to be prepared to confront the thieves yourself(armed,IOW),because police may not arrive in time to catch them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

One just moved back in. At least she is employed and plans to contribute some $.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to install a lot of vehicle alarms and I would install several very loud piercing high frequency sirens inside the cab of the vehicle. I set them to put out different tone patterns so they were often out of phase which made you feel like someone was pulling your brains out through your ears. I often installed several sirens on the outside of the vehicle too along with a module to flash the lights. The folks I installed them for said the darn things would wake the whole neighborhood at night when some dobad messed with their vehicle with the dobad running like hell when the beast of an alarm went off. Some of the vehicle alarms I installed had a pager to go along with them and the customer could catch a thief or the jerk in the parking lot who bumped his car.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not to mention dealing with your pissed-off neighbors who had to listen to the alarm until it reset itself, if it gets tripped when you aren't home.

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm sorry to hear that.

After my son dropped out of college, we had him pay us rent. We banked it (paying the bills wasn't the point), and later gave it to his him and his wife as part of their wedding present.

Reply to
krw

Well, before 9th grade she was a Texan, so she's not exactly unfamiliar with the South[*]. She's still a citizen of that country, I think. ;-)

[*] I'm the carpet bagger. I've only lived in the North, Demonicrat states (IL, NY, and VT) ;-)
Reply to
krw

How does that work when you're somewhere else. Neighbors just get pissed at the noise. How many people even look when a car alarm goes off?

Reply to
krw

Hell, I'm half Yankee, my mother hailed from Brooklyn, NY so half my relatives are Yankees. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas