Your opinion, please.

I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" long (I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

It is stamped:

Yankee No 130A North Bros. Mfg. Co. Phila, PA USA Pat. Dec. 11 23 Made in United States Of America

The handle is showing some wear and giving evidence of being (perhaps) mahogany stain under varnish. Possibly actually mahogany.

It is in smooth working order but only has one bit, stamped:

Philips #2 Pat. 2046887

Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Bill- That is a Yankee Screwdriver I believe. Back in the 70's we thought it was the greatest tool around (you know, hanging doors, etc) Depending on its age, and the rarity of your particular model/style it could be worth anywhere from $25 - $100's. Mine (seldom used now) has a painted, purple handle. I have never seen one that is mahogany. However, that could be a special model or possibly someone custom-made the handle.

I'd browse through E-bay and see if you can find another for ref.

Good Luck, J

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Consider that they are still made (in the size you have) and are priced in the $50.00 range, they have virtually no collector value. If you don't want to use it, give it to somebody that will.

Reply to
CW

Dumpster? A working tool? At the very least it's a gift or a garage sale item.

In the mid 80's, the Yankee was the preferred tool of many union lock installers in NYC. Cordless drivers were available, but it was interesting to see these guys hanging on to the manual tool. I'd asked a couple why they didn't switch over - the answer was that they almost never cammed out the screw and they were fast.

The wood handle is just an older model. They're common, so no real collector value unless it's in mint in the original box, and even then the value isn't anything worth mentioning. You can still get bits for them.

RicodJour

FWIW, a new 130B goes for about 75 bucks in the UK. The Yankee is pretty much nonexistent in the US market these days but the Europeans like it enough that the Germans are making a Yankee clone that takes 1/4" hex shank bits.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually, what you have is a Yankee screwdriver, not a drill. You can still get "bits" for it IIRC. I've got two and use them now and then.

There are push drills made on the same principle. IMNSHO, Goodell & Pratt made the best one. I use one frequently for screw starter holes.

As far as value, $20-$50 depending on age and condition. So use it instead - you may like it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

| I have come to own (I know not how) a Yankee push drill about 18" | long (I'm eyeballing it as it lays on my desk).

| Yankee No 130A

| Is this worth anything in particular or is it simply dumpster food?

Definitely _not_ dumpster fodder. Both driver and drill bits are available - my last purchase was from McFeely's (a magnetic hex bit adapter for the same model as on your desk).

Morris Dovey

FWIW-I have the same driver that belonged to my father and he purchased it around 1956.

Reply to
JoeM

Okay ... thanks guys. I'm not "a tool guy" so I don't keep up with that stuff. I'm cleaning out my toolboxes*, etc. and don't want to keep anything I am reasonably certain I won't be using ... and this screwdriver is definitely pushing the envelope on that score.

Bill

  • I'm stinking sick and tired of spending more time looking for a tool than using it. I've been trying to find (2) 7/8" combination wrenches off and on for almost two weeks. It's stupid just to keep buying stuff that I KNOW I OWN.

On analyzing the problem, I find that most of my clutter is caused by "maybe someday" tools. Rusty gear pullers. The odd ignition wrench from a kit my Dad threw away years ago. A pruning saw that only needs to have the rust knocked off it and the handle re-finished to be good as new. Hmmm ... "maybe someday" I'll get lost in the woods and that saw will just so happen to be in my back pocket and will save my life by helping me build a shelter and gather fuel for a fire ... maybe even help me dress out a rabbit I might catch in a snare.

Bzzzzt! Reality check. Ain't no way, Jack. I love my Dad but I can't keep every tool he ever discarded. And I studiously avoid doing serious automotive work these days. I simply have NO interest in it. So I don't need three sets of gear pullers and a tie-rod fork tool.

Clutter has been killing me for a very long time. Now I'm returning the favor.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Hey--Power to you!

I have had the same revelation about how clutter saps my working time. I have tried to find places for everything I wanted/needed and put them in their place.

I still have to have my daily pickup routine--each time I go into the shop, I pick up and put away 10 items. Amazing how fast that cuts the clutter.

And yes, shop time is much more enjoyable when I can go to a spot and find (most of the time) the tool that I need.

And--usually there is someone who is grateful to get the old tools. Moved a fair amount by ebay, and some through the old tools message board.

Final realization--if I discard a tool because I don't think I will use it, and later have to buy another one, a: it's just rent I pay on having an uncluttered shop. b: I probably will have a better tool than the one I discarded.

Enjoy your orderly shop!

Reply to
Old guy

Thank you.

I've been walking up to my possessions and asking myself "What is this doing in my life?"

If I don't get a good answer, I pitch it.

It's amazing how much cruft I've collected, finally disposed of and am now living easily without. And I am no where near done.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit