Need info on a hand drill

Not a gloat, since it likely doesn't amount to much:

I bought what I think is a hand drill in a flea market, and am interested in finding out (i) possible value, and (ii) a possible source of bits. Yes, I did a Google search, and am usually fairly good at that, but came up empty. Any knowledgeable advice appreciated.

It should be a drill, not a screwdriver, since the spiral goes only one way. Here's the details:

Yankee No. 42 North Bros. Mfg. Co. PHILA PA. USA Pat: JAN 25 - 98 OCT 9 - 00 FEB 10 - 20

Since the last patent date was 1920, I don't know the manufacturing date past that, but it's still old enough to have antique value, and is in pretty good condition.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Is it metal? Shiny? Its prob. a Yankee screwdriver. The stroke will either turn a screw, or a drill bit.

-- KB "Change is the law of life, and those who look only to the past and present are certain to miss the future."

Reply to
K. B.

Thanks, and yes, it's metal, shiny, except for the wooden handle. But I thought a screwdriver had spirals in two directions. I know that later, larger models do, and gave an old large brass one to a friend. This little item is only about 9 1/2" long, the handle for one handed use. I suggested a possible drill due to the spiral being in only the one direction, the return then being just loose, not driving.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

It's a push drill. Not quite as good as an old Goodell-Pratt, IMNSHO, but at least you can still get bits ("drill points") for it.

As far as value, these show up on Ebay all the time. Search for push drill.

BTW, it's an extremely handy tool. Great for screw starting holes. Not so good for through holes, as it tends to "punch" through.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Not so interested in value as usefulness. Where would those bits be available please [other than eBay]?

Thanks!

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Chipper Wood

don't ask CS what HE thinks a "hand drill" is.

dave

Bill Rogers wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

look like the same design as those for larger, more modern Yankee screwdrivers. What concerns me there is the chuck. With the newer screwdriver I have, and those I've seen, the chuck collet pulls down to accept the bit and springs back to lock it in. In the one I have [last patent 1920] the handle is wood, and the collet screws and unscrews to lock onto the bit by tightening onto a small ball bearing.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Well, I looked and apparently they've been discontinued. They were available a few years ago, so you might still find the odd set at an out of the way hardware store.

If you want to see what the set looked like, look at:

Amazon has a newer (i.e., junk) Stanley push drill that comes with 4 drill points. Are they available separately? I don't know.

5519869?v=glance
Reply to
Larry Blanchard