OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

These days,thieves will steal parts of the car itself. I had the ECU stolen from my 94 Integra GS-R,it took 6 weeks to get a new one from Japan. Air bags are another common theft item. Radios,nav systems,etc.

why lower your living standards because some thieves feel they can steal your stuff?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jeez, how the hell much "courtesy" do you want the guy to extend? He is already giving a presumably FREE ride to a complete stranger. Should he serve wine and cheese? Maybe he should give her an avocado facial, and take her shoe shopping?

In this case, she's little more than self-propelled luggage, with all the rights and privileges afforded to said luggage. Sit down, shut up, and be glad you're getting home without having to pay for a bus ticket.

Reply to
mkirsch1

You are a guy, she is a gal. You speak different languages. You need to be explicit.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I almost had it happen. Driving across NJ, the car was making a noise. For some reason I decided it was a front wheel bearing, or something. When I got to Allentown Pa. I looked at the lug nuts were loose. The tire had been wobbling. I had ruined the threads on 2 or

3 studs.
Reply to
mm

Who elected you to decide when a woman (or a man) "has issues" if they are not married by the time Your Majesty decides they should?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

IN brooklyn when I parked on the street and had an alarm I wasn't broken into for 7 years, but I was always late to work looking for a parking place.

So I rented a space in a lot, on a quiet street with bushes in front of my car.

One night the alarm went off and it beeped me in my bedroom. Even though the lot was right behind my building, there was no exit to it and I had to run halfway around the block. The guy had gone and everything was fine.

But two weeks later, he cut the top, cut the lower boot, and stole my tools from my trunk. He left the knife. I still have it and I use it.

So I decided to move out of NY, where I had planned to stay 2 years and and stayed 12. Also, I had recently met and was afraid of marrying a girl who wanted to stay in NY forever, since I grew up in a town of 50,000, with 4 acres of woods across the street.

No one's even tried to break into my car in 28 years. And I drive anywhere and everywhere, including what you'd think are the worst neighborhoods in town, and no one has even said an unkind word to me.

a) Cars are barely noticed, They're just part of the traffic, even when stopped at a light or sign.

b) I know how to get along with people, even though on Usenet it doesn't show. :-)

Reply to
mm

Do you think anyone would notice either way? Alarm? What alarm?

Reply to
krw

It's just as easy to break a window in a house as it is a car. Easier, since the perp has so many more to choose from.

Reply to
krw

But it's even easier to break into a house than a car. If you're afraid of damage, it makes no sense to lock one and not the other. Sometimes there is no choice but to leave valuables in a car (there were a few anxious moments last week with two guns and three laptops in the car - all in the same case ;).

Exactly. That's what insurance is for.

Reply to
krw

I had it happen with a "real" tire shop once, too. We got down to DC (from P'ok NY) and the car was acting really squirrely. A couple of the nuts had about one thread left before taking their walkabout.

Costco is *supposed* to do that.

I *hate* it when that happens. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Well, have you ever seen a 30 year-old unmarried woman who DIDN'T have issues?

Come to think on it, the "unmarried" qualifier is not really needed...

Never mind.

Reply to
HeyBub

But the goblin can tell, yes, even a goblin can tell, that there's no one in a car holding a 12-gauge and grinning like a Cheshire cat...

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote

Another foolish thing is hooking up with someone that has had two or more relationships. Don't think it is going to be permanent.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I dunno. I think wives (or husbands) are like children and pancakes. You have to throw the first one away.

Personally, I tell women who plaintively moan: "Why are all the good men married?" that it's marriage that makes them good!

A woman should look at a potential mate as a source of raw material, not a finished product.

Men CAN be trained (with, admittedly, varying degrees of success) to not throw their socks on the floor, make rude bodily noises in a public venue, ogle large-breasted waitresses, and bathe regularly.

A woman who knows this trick will test the applicant during the courtship phase. She might say: "Darling, it really frustrates me when you're late picking me up" and see how he reacts on subsequent get-togethers. If he continues to be tardy, he's probably not EASILY trainable. If, on the other hand, the issue never comes up again, she can rightfully conclude that he'll be equally pliant when it comes to cities to live in, asking for raises, buying her a dog that will fit in her purse, dressing in pastel suits, and other little things that please her.

Reply to
HeyBub

Other thought is that giving a ride to anyone makes you responsible for their safety. Top down, woman gets bug in eye, sues you.

One of my sons gets rear-ended. Cop notices passenger in his car is not wearing a seat belt and gives my son a ticket.

Today, I'm very leery on giving rides.

Reply to
Frank

"HeyBub" wrote in news:O5idnXzlQueCupbTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I think that I've done pretty well with my first and only. Met in '62, married in '67, took her to the US in '69. So what works for you (the "discarding") might have been because you needed more patience in training ... . As they say, YMMV ...

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Some people DO notice. It helped me one time when thieves came to break into my car.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

insurance doesn't cover everything. and some things are irreplaceable.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh,my first car,a 64 Triumph Herald I had built from two junkers,I finally got my license and plates,took the car out for it's first drive outside of my parent's backyard. I forgot to tighten down the lugnuts on one wheel,and the wheel came off right in a 6 inch deep puddle.Fortunately,at low speed,and the nuts were still in the hubcap. Important lesson learned.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I do insist that hitchhikers wear their seatbelt.

I havent' had to with friends. They always seem to want to.

In this case, the law might not yet have required it, and I'm not positive a '73 Buick had rear-seat seatbelts. I can't remember.

Reply to
mm