MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet, ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants, flowers, etc.

Reply to
David Combs

FWIW, your capital letters made me thingk this was spam.

Don't eat them.

For sure don't eat them. :)

If they're not round, I call them toadstools.

Won't they stop on their own? Wash them away with one of those narrow squirt nozzles for garden hoses? The one I have in mind is 2 to 3" long, usually all brass, and has no handle or valve or anything, though you can screw it onto a separate valve.

Destroying them this way will help get out any anger you're feeling about anything, especially them.

They go a lot lower than that! AIUI, the mustroom shows up when the below ground part is running out of food. Since the tree is gone, its roots are iiuc rotting rather than living. Maybe that somehow means less food for the mushroom.

Semding up mushrooms is it's last ditch "effort" to live, somewhere else.

I think eventually they stop.

Wikip "Though mushroom fruiting bodies are short-lived, the underlying mycelium can itself be long-lived and massive. A colony of Armillaria solidipes (formerly known as Armillaria ostoyae) in Malheur National Forest in the United States is estimated to be 2,400 years old, possibly older, and spans an estimated 2,200 acres (8.9 km2). Most of the fungus is underground and in decaying wood or dying tree roots in the form of white mycelia combined with black shoelace-like rhizomorphs that bridge colonized separated woody substrates.[15]"

I don't think yours will last more than a few years, showing up only once in a while during that time. Where do you live?

Reply to
mm

-snip-

What kind of tree? where are you in the world? and a picture or two. Get one from under the 'monsters' if you can.

Maybe I [or someone closer] will come over and harvest them for you.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

First, it would help to identify them (and thus identify the underground fungus structures you cannot see.) The fastest route would be to take photos (with a ruler in each picture to indicate scale or size) and show them to a "mycologist" at either an Agricultural Extension department (governmental) or the Biology Dept. of some local college.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You are aware that if you disturb a mushroom by whacking with a shovel, it will release an abundance of spores that will spread over your property. Check out this gardening site for some easy to understand information about mushrooms on your lawn:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why would you want to? Mychorrizal organisms of any type are very beneficial to the soil, helping to break down substances into usable material for other plants; this is why many species of trees (especially coniferous) actualy depend upon a healthy mychorrizal colony for their survival and nutrition.

If you have indeed planted a garden at the area, you would be best served to leave them be. They will decrease in number in time, as the last remnants of your tree are consumed, and in the meantime will provide a healthy environment for the plants and soil which will continue to live.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I was thinking the same thing. It is a natural process as you described that creates healthy soil.

Reply to
George

Yes. Please take pictures! Pictures of them undisturbed is all you need. Simply put the jpgs at your Panix website* and post the links.

  • I looked at it. Seems to be filled with junk files.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet, ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants, flowers, etc.

Reply to
Nelly

A foot across! - I'M DROOLING!

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a grapefruit.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

-snip-

There is a chicken of the woods that has showed up on a pine tree in a local park 3 years in a row. I'd wager that there are 20 pounds of mushrooms on that thing before it starts to fade.

The down side is-- it is a few yards from the dog park & a popular tree to mark. So I just watch and drool. [and wonder if the big ones we see in the woods are marked by critters we don't see.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You could just leave them. They won't be there long and their presence adds a quaintness and unique feature to your lawn.

They might even attract fairies and leprechauns.

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

There is a chicken of the woods that has showed up on a pine tree in a local park 3 years in a row. I'd wager that there are 20 pounds of mushrooms on that thing before it starts to fade.

The down side is--it is a few yards from the dog park & a popular tree to mark. So I just watch and drool. [and wonder if the big ones we see in the woods are marked by critters we don't see.]

Jim ====

But then, when you think about how much of the other vegs we eat every day are hit by birds....

Reply to
Nelly

I've seen them bigger. But often no longer fresh. Wondering if he had a chicken-of-the-woods is why I asked for a picture.

Note to David: Also post where you are located. That could help id them. Though little brown ones generally can't be identified and are assumed poisonous.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

When y'all starting talking chicken-of-the-woods, my first thought was of the Giant Brown Chickens (aka wild turkeys) that hang out in the woods behind my place. Damn near tame, from the old widow lady next door putting out a wash tub of feed every couple of days. I've seen upwards of 30 at a time.

In the Baltic states of northern Europe, where my family came from, mushroom hunting is a big annual deal, and little kids learn the safe ones by the time they are school age. My family neglected to teach me that, or maybe they weren't sure of the species on this side of the pond, so I just look, but don't eat. With all the storm-downed trees here this month, I'm expecting to see plenty of them come late summer. Last summer, one guy a block away had a front yard of adorable spherical ones, 3-8 inches in diameter before the caps unfurled. Looked like a science-fiction cityscape.

Reply to
aemeijers

Here is what chicken mushrooms look like:

They are very edible and taste like chicken.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

New York State (New Rochelle, just north of the BRONX)

David

Reply to
David Combs

New York State (New Rochelle, just north of the BRONX)

David ==== That narrows it down to about 10,000 species.

Reply to
Nelly

Say hello to the Petris when you see them.

Reply to
mm

So you think there are invisible animals in the woods? Are they invisible dogs or some unknown animal, like wolyotes?

Reply to
mm