Subject Author Posted Replies

Toilet flush using too much water
I've closely observed my toilet and it is using too much water per flush. I watched the meter outside while my son flushed the toilet and it used 6 gallons rather than the 1.6 gallons it should! Prior...
17
17

Match indoor paint color
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a picture mat. I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically matches the color of the sample you bring in. My nabe BM...
20
20

When to add shingles?
Brick bungalow in midwest US. Scraped and shingled in 1997. No visable leaks, curling, cracking, etc. Shingles were rated for about 15 years. Building code allows 2 layers of shingles. Should I wait...
12
12

home security
just curious as to if anyone has any input into outdoor security cameras. i am leaning towards this one and while the reviews seem okay perhaps some of you can provide input into a different system....
11
11

OT, but WGAF?
My senile mom, whom I care for, lives and dies for airbeds. Been sleeping on them for years. OTOH, she goes through them like Snicker bars. I've finally come to the conclusion it's her dog's nails...
1
1

Washing machine leaks
HB
7
7

Metal Roofing
My usual contractor (who installed a new layer of asphalt tiles in 1994) tells me I need to replace the entire roof, including the plywood. I am thinking that I would prefer to replace it with...
11
11

Shopvac rubber band
Bicycle inner tubes. Free and you can make almost any length/width band you could want. R
17
17

Bathroom sink stopper
Installed new bathroom sinks and the horizontal operating mechanism for the drain stopper does not extend out far enough to connect to the vertical operating mechanism behind the spigot. Bending the...
4
4

100 amp GE double pole, double throw transfer switch wiring
Hi, I think I was very confusing the first time so hope no one minds if I try again. I was able to find a better picture of what I have, zoom in on the inner picture. wiring from the meter box to the...
8
8

Store aluminum ladder outdoors?
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet...
57
57

Unhappy with Roomba vacuum
My wife had a roomba vacuum, that worked ok - barely - for about a year. Then the rechargeable battery pack died beyond fixing, so many of the cells died. A neighbor gave me one that has the "go to...
9
9

I am stuck
Hi, I was going to switch over rims/tires from summer to winter tonight. One of the rim is stuck frozen on the hub. Rocking with lug nuts loose or hitting with mallet can't loosen it up. Any...
35
35

New Bathroom Vanity Too Tall - Do I have to remove mirror?
We put ceramic tile down in the bathroom and now want to install new vanity but it is taller than the bottom of the mirror. The new vanity top is pretty basic, cultured marble with built in...
11
11

Dog door replacement flap
I've tried and tried to find a replacement flap for my ancient Johnson Pet Door Model M-2. Nothing, nada, and zilch. Looks like I need to make one. Does anyone have any idea where I might find a small...
16
16