Subject Author Posted Replies

Lawnmowing question
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the...
21
21

Jenn-Air Repair Insurance Worthwhile?
We have a Jenn-Air down draft stove that has worked fine for several years. We are now offered repair warranty for $258 for the next three years. Ordinarily I never buy equipment warranties, figuring...
4
4

Rockwell 14 Band Saw
My father left me a Rockwell 14 band saw. It's pretty old. The blade is having trouble staying in alignment. I was told that the drive wheel or some other part involved in the movement of the blade...
4
4

Homemade leaf collector
Video
44
44

leaking around shower valve cartridge
Five years ago I replaced the Moen 1200 single-faucet cartridge in my shower. Now it drips from the knob. It seems to be leaking around the cartridge. I found the plastic adapter and, after tapping...
1
1

OT Has anyone had any luck boosting cell phone signal in the house?
Can you get some kind of antenna transmitter booster that will help getting signal in the house. Calls can be made from the yard and in the house, but not reliably.
10
10

OT When does 999 = 666?
When your tax plan is simple - and wrong.
27
27

Light bulbs burn out too fast
This apartment has strange problems. Incandescent bulbs burn out too fast, usually when a switch is turned on. I monitored line voltage with a plug-in meter that displays voltages in the range of 90...
30
30

Jay Leno on Sun, King, SK, Stromberg...
... and other classic car parts and car tool companies. Names like King, S-K Tools, and Sun once reigned in the U.S. car parts market. And when they disappear, part of our industrial history...

OT (I think) Quantum Levitation
I'm surprised it does its thing for so long when everything around it is at much higher temperature, and it has no inherent cooling ability. That's pretty neat, though. Would make good bearings -...
2
2

Whirlpool refrigerator behaving oddly
This is a 1979 Whirlpool refrigerator, model EET-172PK. I was in the kitchen for a couple minutes this morning and noticed that the compressor was attempting to cycle ON about every 20-25 seconds, but...
2
2

Semi-OT: Went to an auction
The company auctioning home furnishing and the like has an interesting business model: When someone doesn't pay their rent or mortgage, a court order is issued evicting them. Officers of the court...
56
56

Lowes closing a few stores
"Lowe's Cos Inc is closing 20 of its U.S. locations and eliminating nearly 2,000 jobs, and the home improvement retailer is slashing its store-opening plans to improve profitability." stores being...
17
17

Broken office chair
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. I "had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday evening. This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is height...
19
19

Emergency power transfer switch wiring question
Hi, I had an electrician tell me today that the installation of my emergency power transfer switch is not to code. This was done by a different electrician about 4 years ago, it is for a generator....
12
12