yards of concrete

the 50s I think they stopped in the 60s because it harmed the kid's self esteem when you told him 2+2 was not 6

Reply to
gfretwell

It doesn't matter. If the logger was Canadian they wouldn't let him sell the lumber here.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's not really quite fair. Every time I've had an encounter with a 16 yo. cashier/food server who couldn't figure out how to make change, there's been another one right next to them rolling their eyes in disgust, and a 17/18 y.o. shift manager shift manager visibly supressing the urge to euthenise the poor stupid bastard on the spot.

THe trouble isn't that nobody who graduates from high-school learns/knows anything, it's that people graduate whether they learn/know anything or not.

I look at it this way: If the people at McDonalds are too stupid to count to six, the economy's in pretty good shape. If the people at McDonalds can rationally discuss relativity, then it's time to look to your hedge fund...

Reply to
Goedjn

I went to Catholic school. You either learn or they beat it into you.

When I went to USMC Basic in 1966, a DI was screaming in my face.

I said, "You don't scare me. I went to Catholic school." I thought he was going to bust a gut laughing. Basic was easier after that. Come to find out, he went to Catholic school, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

-snip-

Can I guess that you went to Boot Camp in San Diego? I went to PI in 68 and I can't imagine any drill instructor not beating your ass for what you said. I never saw a DI so much as crack a smile while I was there. [I'm not complaining-- I agree with the motto at the PI rifle range- 'The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war.'- boot camp sucked for good reason.]

I did radio-telegraph school at San Diego & couldn't believe how different boot camp looked out there. [and no- the Marines didn't have any telegraphs in 1968. But if they had, we could have used them.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Excellent! LOL :-)

Mark

Reply to
redbelly98

Well, how much do you sutract from 432 cubic feet to account for one Jimmy Hoffa? remember, he was a fairly big fella......

Reply to
John Beckman

Easy, 55 gallon drum, about 6.8 cu/ft

Reply to