Radon...what would you do?

I did a home radon test about a month ago. I got the results back...6 pC/l. They say that the EPA recommends it be below 4.

My neighbor's was 16, so his was a no-brainer. I'm wondering you conservative, if at all, the EPA standards are.

We just don't have the $1500 right now for a mitigation system, and I'm wondering if I should worry about the test results.

Reply to
Anonymous

I an a cancer survivor who lost both my parents to cancer. I guess I am a little more careful that others.

I suggest you can do a lot yourself. Google the issue on line. I suggest that some tubes of caulk and a caulking gun and maybe some additional ventilation can be cheap and do a lot to reduce it in most cases.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That seems reasonable, but it probably also depends on how much time he spends in the basement, and how much air exchange there is between the basement and the upstairs. It might also be worth testing again in a few months before panicking. Never having had radon, I am not that well informed about it; but I "think" it worst when the water table is high, like it might be in the spring?

Reply to
Toller

Very conservative. On the other hand, how is your basement put together, that it takes $1500 to ventilate it?

Reply to
Goedjn

Are you on a well. It can also come from well water.

Reply to
Art

I would worry more about crossing the street.

Over-hyped and oversold.

Just my opinion.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

over- hyped and oversold, i agree completely, before you spend any money, really reseach radon, read some info from someone that is not selling something, once you find out how it was discovered that its harmful and how much exposure you really have to have, i think you will find the time well spent instead of your money just my opinion bill

Reply to
Bill

A combination of sealing gaps in the foundation and adding a powered vent which might incur an electrician and a carpenter, I can see it getting up there if you don't do a thing yourself. Especially if they talk you into an elaborate vent system with multiple air intakes and ducts and louvered air replacement vent openings (to the outside) and a hermertic paint on concrete sealer.

Reply to
PipeDown

if you spend little time in the basement, test the livuing area, ift its not high dont worry about it.

radon is heavier than air and tends to pool like water, ot testing is usually at floor level.

seal everything you can and ventilate basement with something like a small muffin fan.

Reply to
hallerb

I'm just going by what 2 of my neighbors paid, and they have homes similar to mine. Won't know for sure without an estimate.

Reply to
Anonymous

I agree. The US EPA is full of Chicken Little's who really believe that even .00000000001 micrograms of anything is harmful. After all, they're not the ones paying for remediation.

I had the last house tested two years ago at my expense but under no conditions would I install a radon mitigation system. The house tested high, too, about 6 I think. The house sold just the same. My feeling was if the future owner felt it was a real problem, they can spend the money to fix it.

Reply to
Bob M.

A simple DIY project. Mine was 6.0 and after the 'repair' it came back at 1.5.

Went to the local Radon place and bought the fan and Ferncos for $250 Went to the Borg and bought the cheap 3" DWV PVC and fittings $80

Drilled a hole in the slab and caulked in the PVC. Rand the pipe up and through the rim joist into the garage. Mounted the fan and cut a hole in the roof. Used vent pipe flashing to seal it off.

About 3 hours total. The worst part of the entire job was paying the additional $10 to the radon testing company because I live in NJ. No other state incurs an additional charge for the DIY kits. Another tax brought to you by the fabulous NJ legislature.

Could probably get it below 1.5 if I sealed around the slab like the radon place suggested I do, but I would rather have the drainage in the basement if I need it.

Reply to
RayV

You did not mention in what part of the house that you performed the radon test. As a rule of thumb, you can halve the results for each floor above the test. In otherwords if you did the test in the basement, then your results are approximately 3 pCi/L.

Another concern is whether there are children in the house. If so then the answer to your question is a no-brainer.

Robert

Reply to
Nospam

No offense, but 1500 seems high. I've been told, since my basement has no sump pump/basin, it could cost me up to $700 dollars. Which was still high, because I found that my foundation had a passive radon mitigation system. Toss on a fan, and a vent stack, and I might get away with a much cheaper solution.

Oh, back to your case, I've been told that with radon, little effectors to vent it make remarkable improvements. If you have a sump pump, you might get a wack at fixing your problems by getting a fan installed on your sump. Radon, wants to escape into the air, and the path of least resistance might through your basement rather than several feet of soil.

Now I'm not radon mitigation expert, but I was given a 2.8 pC/l results, and prior to getting the readings, I was checking out solutions.

EPA says fans work.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

The solution to polution is dilution. Open the windows. Install a vent fan to draw air out. Ventilate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not always true. Opening the windows can cause the reading to increase due to a drop in pressure. The existing pressure in the house could be holding back the Radon, relieving the pressure could make it worse.

Reply to
RayV

related question, if you have a interior french drain open to air downhill from drain area would that qualify as a passive system?

radon heavier than air would hopefully flow downhill and out the pipe away from house?

Reply to
hallerb

Do you smoke ?? If you do then elevated radon will increase chances of lung cancer by 15 times. You can do a lot yourself to seal the basement like caulk around pipes and cracks in the floor or walls. If you have concrete blocks you can fill the tops if they are open. You can also buy the fan and pvc pipes and ventilate the basement floor yourself for just a few hundred bucks. If you can't afford $1500 for the contractor you sure can't afford to let your family get sick.

Reply to
tmurf.1

if your dumb enough to smoke you dont care about your health or that of your family:(

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote if your dumb enough to smoke you dont care about your health or that of your family

I don't smoke, but somebody as dumb as you scares me a lot more than somebody "dumb enough" to smoke.

Reply to
Gideon