Who's a RADON expert?

I'm aware the EPA levels are 4.0 pCi/l are considered safe.

Multiple tests of my basement has a Radon Levels averaging between 6.2 and

6.8 in 2 different seasons. I have a typical colonial house with a poured cement basement.

My main living area has been tested multiple times also, and averages 3.0 to

3.5 at it's worst. So I am well below EPA levels here.

So should I invest $800 in a Radon Elimination system to bring the basement to normal levels if I only spend minimal time down there? It's mainly storage and my work bench area.

Advice welcome

Reply to
Bill

Personally, I'd do everything I could possibly do to bring those levels down. $800 seems like a no brainer. The levels in your main living area are pretty high. Zero would be a number worth aiming for.

rusty

Reply to
Red Cloud®

averages 3.0 to

the effects of low level of radon are contriversial..

i'd try some passive mitigation first, like sealing any cracks in the basement floor and walls, sealing with water proof paint etc...

do you have a french drain or other openings to the soil,, sump pump?

also if you have a hot air heating system, make sure there are no open return ducts in the basment that will create low pressure in the basement and draw radon into the basment. also you can open a hot air regester to expel air into the basment to create some pressure.

Reply to
Mark

Im no radon pro but sealing all cracks in walls and floors would be my first step, Google Radon Elimination there are some sealers that claim to help that you paint on. I would do what is cheap and re test. A vent system runs 24x7 costing more to heat and cool. A newer house could be to tight needing venting anyway.

Reply to
m Ransley

It's not worth a lousy $800 to screw around. It doesn't really matter. You only live once, and so do your loved ones. ZERO is a good level to strive for.

Rusty

Reply to
Red Cloud®

And what do you get for $800? One of the standard solutions is to install fan(s) to pull air through the basement and blow it outside to reduce the radon level. You could have continuous air flow or periodic flow. Depending on the size of your basement, a couple of 100-200 cfm squirrel cages blowing for 15 minutes out of an hour would probably do it. You need a professional that isn't selling the equipment to figure it out.

That would of course radically reduce the radon level in your living area.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

woohoo!! the 'experts' have spoken.

now lets get real.

do you know how to use a search engine? why dont you try it. maybe you cant. heres a page to get you started. i found it by typing the word radon into a search engine.:

it seems to cover the basic conflicts in the radon arguments. ultimately, only the US EPA sets the safey level as low as 4. other safety orginazations have concluded different levels are safe. the NCRP (National Council on Radiation Protection) has set it at 8. other credible groups have set it higher.

only you can decide if its worth lowering. if you want my opinion, i wouldnt worry about it.

bottom line: someone is always trying to scare you into buying something...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Thats up to you. if you go to sell the home, you may well have to have a radon test, and if it fails, as your basement would, you may be required to install a system to bring it to normal levels.

$800 is cheap BTW.

Reply to
steve

OP-

How old are you? Do you have any kids in the house? How long have you lived there? How long are going to live there? Do you smoke? Are you overweight?

it's all about exposure & risk assessment

I never used bug killer when my kids were home, I always waited until they were going to be away for a while (esp inside or large outside qtys)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207