Win7 and T-bird

Outlook doesn’t do usenet.

Outlook Express does but you have to use the second to last version to get quoting.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thanks T , I've got it sorted out now . I still don't know what the problem was , but here's what I did : uninstalled T-bird did a cold restart of comp reinstalled an earlier version - 60.6.1 There is a chance this will update to 68.9.1 when I close and restart it , don't know yet if the problems will start all over but I hope not .

All is working correctly now . This is the first problem I've had setting this comp up . This has all but one old laptop running W7 now , and that old Tosh is probably too old for 7 .

Reply to
Snag

Somewhere between 60 and 68 they changed the way they do addressbooks. You are not suppose to notice, unless you do. Before upgrading, go to your address book and export your address books as LDIF files. If yo notice, you will thank me later.

I've been using Outlook for over 20 years without a single issue. IMHO, there isn't a better email client.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

... might it be a 32 bit / 64 bit conflict ? although you would probably get an error message to that .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I still don't know what happened the first go-round , but I'm using

60.9.1 now and it works just swell . The option to update to 68.9.0 is there , but I'm a bit nervous about letting it update , that's the version that gave me so much trouble . Hey , it works now and you know what they say ...
Reply to
Snag

I'd pretty much need to agree with it - and if you are not confident, just back up the PST file regularly. IF it crashes, just re-install and point it to the backup PST. Archive your PST file to keep the default PST light and nimble. Particularly anything newer than 2003 is pretty much rock solid as an email client.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The only thing I can think of as an excuse to keep XP is if you have qbasic programs to run - and even then just running a dosbox emulator looks after most of that. (Didn't work for one customer who used some ancient handheld as a data collection unit for a landsurveying application written in MS Basic, ported to QBasic - and the handhelds couldn't talk to DOS throughthe emulator, so we kept a windows 98 machine for them to dump the data to from the handhelds when they came in from the field. AN XP box couild likely have been used there as well, but the old 98SE box (an ancient IBM ThinkStation?) still functioned. The Win98 machine was able to store the data on the shared file hosted on the Win7 machine used as a peer to peer "server" that stored all the data and drawings even when the draftsmen switched up to W10. We got rid of the Novel patchwork system when we converted to 98SE from Win3.3 back around 2003 or there-abouts.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Ya. Lots of luck with that. It is a total pain in the ass.

If you are nervous, make a copy of %appdata\remote\Thunderbird before proceeding

For you as a technician, I agree it's a PITA. Never anything to fix. You can't earn a living that way. :-)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

We have one prehistoric utility that uses curses for the interface. When Win7 dropped ANSI.sys we installed dosbox and it worked fine. It's seldom used anymore or I would look at rewriting the interface.

Another casualty was HyperTerminal. That could be copied to 7 but I don't think it works on 10. Believe it or not there still is serial peripheral equipment in use and we use DigiPorts to connect to them. HyperTerminal is handy for twiddling parity, stop bits, and all that other good old stuff until you get a response that isn't garbage.

Reply to
rbowman

TeraTerm or PuTTY -(or KiTTY or SmarTTY) or a host of other prgrams are available to take HyperTerminal's place. Maybe none are as "down and dirty" as HyperT but they will get the job done

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I use putty -ssh but haven't had to use it with a serial connection.

Reply to
rbowman