Win7 and T-bird

so I'm trying to migrate all the thingds I do in XP to the Win7 install in this comp (dual boot) and I'm using Thunderbird version

68.9.0 and it ain't workin' Continuous not responding , can't do much since it keeps locking up . Anybody else here used this combo and had problems ? Any solutions ? I'm moving it all over to 7 because so much just won't function in XP any more . There are a few thing I prefer XP for , so I plan on keeping is as a backup OS , just trying to get as much moved over as I can and email/newsgroups are a primary task for my desktop . It's a pain in the ass to keep rebooting when I want to change over .
Reply to
Snag

Try these guys:

mozilla.support.thunderbird

But be careful, it is a "moderated" group. Watch who/what you insult.

Also, this sounds like a hardware issue. Test your hard drive health with:

I would think y ou can leave the data where it was and just install t-bird in 7 pointing to that data.

I did tha twith Eudora during 2 tnansistions, and I could use it while in either OS and still have all the email data avaiable all the time.

I'm sure t-bird will work with 7, it works with 10, but I have no experience.

Reply to
micky

From the narrative I can't tell which isn't working -- trying 68.9.0 on XP (not supported, so not terribly surprising it doesn' work if that's the case) or Win7.

I didn't keep the XP partition but have had on issues on Win7.

I presume but I haven't looked that one can revert to earlier releases if do need to get back to an XP running case.

Reply to
dpb

The Win7 install is in a nearly-new 500 Gb hdd - I had some music stored on it before I re-purposed it . The motherboard is also new , the old one still functioned but was not Win7 compatible . Everything works just swell in XP , though the T-bird version here is 52.something and it's a little slow sometimes . I'm wondering if I need to step back to an earlier version ... or if I need to dump T-bird and go with another email/newsgroup client . Anybody using Outlook ?

Reply to
Snag

I'd test the hard out anyway.

And Indeed, transfer your remote apps Thunderbird profile to the same version of Thunderbird, before updating Thunderbird.

And before updating, export your address books to an LDIF file. You will thank me later!

Old versions:

It works perfectly

Unless something changed, it works well with W7 and now W10. If nothing else, try removing and reinstalling.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

T , this is a totally new install , on new or very close to new hardware . There's nothing to back up or transfer . I have been rambling along on the XP install for everything but more and more stuff just ain't working in XP . I have been setting stuff up in 7 a little at a time and testing as I go to make sure everything works as desired , this is the first glitch I've had . Well , I guess we'll see what happens , my laptop (which also runs 7) is automagically installing the latest version . If it gives problems I'll know where the problem is .

Reply to
Snag

Your reply hasn't shown up yet on the desktop , I have already uninstalled/reinstalled once , no change at all . This comp just updated to the newest , so far no problems - you were referring to T-bird ?

Additional note , I also just set up my email on the desktop , don't know if that would make a difference . This comp is set up only with newsgroups .

Reply to
SNAG

I'm setting up 7 on the desktop , which is dual boot XP and 7 . The latest version of T-bird that will run on XP is 52.9.1 . I really wasn't expecting problems , the desktop is running a 2.2Ghz quad core AMD processor with 8Gb of RAM and a new motherboard .

Reply to
SNAG

Snag,

I support Thunderbird professionally. I was getting ahead of my self. I am also presuming you know the file system

If you transfer %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird from XP to W7, you "should" (watch the "weasel" word) get everything back. If not, tell me the error message and I will couch you around it.

Now on W7 if all you what to get working is a bare install of Thunderbird and you are getting these error, then something else is wrong.

Also try starting Thunderbird with thunderbird --safe-mode

If you don't care what is on Thunderbird yet and don't want to do a transfer, erase %appdata%\remote\Thunderbird and start over.

Are you using IMAP?

And are you having troubles with any other programs?

Also, configure switching to Fedora, rather than Windows. You can fly before you buy.

Just DD it to flash drive with

Fedora Media Writer:

-T

I use Outlook for email but it doesn't do Usenet. You'll need something else for that. I use Forte Agent but there are plenty of Usenet clients available if T'bird isn't working for you.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

If you set up Fedora instead, you can install qemu-kvm (kernel Virtual machine) and set up a virtual machine for both XP and W7 and not have to screw around with booting back and forth.

Yes, Thunderbird. I use T-bird only for newsgroups too. I've used Agent but this is better. You can use it free but since it works well and I use it a lot I did make a donation for it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm not that into all this ... besides I got it figgered out now , using version 60.6.1 - but I suspect that restarting it will update to the latest version unless I change some settings .

Reply to
Snag

I checked my 7 laptop and it's 12.0.1. Odd, since it says it's up to date. My Win7 box at work also has TBird and it updates every now and then but I don't have a clue what the version is.

I'm writing this with TBird on a Linux box but that one is 45.6.0 so it's only 4 years behind rather than 8.

Reply to
rbowman

Do yourself a favor and dual boot XP and 10 Professional. Don't know anything that won't work on either one or the other.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Go with Agent 8. Outlook is a great mail client but an awfull news client.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Hi Clare,

Outlook stores everything is a single database. Get a clinker and you are so, so, so screwed.

Make over 1,200 U$D off a lady that refused to learn anything new. I was the fifth guy she used and the only one that got her eMail back. And it was about 30 GB worth: basically, her entire business. And she bitched and bitched and bitched about having to use Thunderbird. What an idiot.

Don't trust Outlook to anything that is dear to you. Outlook sucks.

-T