Firefox funny.

Accessed my Ebay account first thing using Firefox on my Win7 laptop. No problems.

Later in the day tried to on this Win7 desktop. Firefox wouldn't run and threw up an error message. Quitted and trying again - same thing. Re-booted the machine - same thing. This machine has both Win7 and XP as separate OS - even on different HDs - so switched off, and then loaded XP, only to find the same thing with FF.

Went out shopping, and it seems back to normal now. Only common thing is they all use FF sync.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds like your internet connection to me.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had a similar problem with Firefox (14.0.1) today - around 16:00. It kept crashing at startup so eventually I tried with add-ons disabled and that was OK. Re-enabled them and that too was OK. IE, Chrome and FTP were OK so definitely not an internet connection problem.

Reply to
Reentrant

Yes - same here.

Do you use sync? Other thing is my startup page is Google.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had a "funny" with Firefox where, although I have closed it down correctly, when I try and start it it won't run. Using task manager I can see it still running in applications. Forcing it to stop and then starting it again fixes the problem. This has happened quite a few times.

Reply to
Bill

I had similar problems today. /After/ an update to Flash player, which is now deleted.

Reply to
<me9

En el artículo , Bill escribió:

Don't force it to quit, you might corrupt its cache. Firefox takes ages to unload itself from memory, you'll probably see lots of hard disc activity too. If you watch Firefox's memory usage in Task Mangler, you'll see it dropping slowly but steadily as it unloads.

Just wait, it'll quit eventually.

Tools/Options/Cache - you'll find it's set to use some insane amount of space for caching (1Gb in my case). Knock it down to 250MB or so.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It happened again this morning.

Don't use sync but google.co.uk is my homepage -maybe it's something to do with the Olympic Google doodles.

My only add-ons are AdBlock Pro, Firebug and HTML Validator.

Reply to
Reentrant

The only place I can see and change cache settings is in about:config.

Reply to
Reentrant

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

I was talking about days here, the PC is left on 24/7 doing various things, but Firefox can be closed for days at a time. So I assumed it was well and truly stuck.

Reply to
Bill

More reports here - I may have guessed right:

Reentrant

different 'doodle'. But I'll change the homepage and see if that does it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Firefox has driven me insane for the past two days. It is all gone now. I went to Chrome which gave me a search engine. All I wanted was a search engine.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It's quite instructive to watch the memory usage whilst it's running. FF has had a problem for ages in claiming memory when a new tab is opened, but not releasing the memory when a tab is closed. I had it up to over 1.5Gbytes.

There was a really crass update earlier this week that caused it to lose my previous session.

At the end of the day, FF is worth what you pay for it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

En el artículo , Man at B&Q escribió:

They made great improvements in memory handling and garbage collection from FF7 onwards, claiming a footprint 50% smaller. This was more or less borne out by my own experience.

They now seem to be positioning it as an OS to rival Google Chrome (and Chromebooks):

Mike Tomlinson

The behaviour of my FF improved beyond recognition when I disabled all the add-ons and only allowed adblock+. Memory misbehaviour and slowdowns vanished immediately.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon