why isnt my whistling kettle whistling anymore?

Its only a year old, a nice stainless steel number.

Ive tried tightening to screw in the removable lid, but to no avail.

Perhaps Ive tightened it too hard?

Any ideas on this earth shattering problem? :)

Reply to
ODB

The sound is made by steam passing through the whistle opening. Be sure it is clear and did not get filled with some gunk. Clean it out with a pin or paperclip and give it a try. Also check that it is fitting properly and the steam is not escaping around the lid rather than through it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have seen some get blocked with a lime type build up. Take a look and see if you can see if something is partly blocking the vent.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Vinegar is nearly as effective and much cheaper..

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The whistle consists of a resonating chamber in the steam vent made using a thin insert with a hole. If the insert falls out, no whistle. Check to be sure the steam has to go thru 2 inline holes.

Reply to
Nick Hull