Window AC Condensate?

Hi, quick question. I have 3 window AC units, all different models and age. One has a drain tube, and water regularly drains from it. It works great.

The other 2 have no such drain, and I never see any water coming from them. Is this normal? One is a 2 year old Maytag, and it seems to run loud and not as cool as you would expect. Not sure if its related. The manual mentions nothing of leaving an angle to drain properly.

thanks Bob

Reply to
pony67

The units should be mounted level or have just the slightest pitch to the back. Inside there is a drain pan to catch the condensate. In most cases, the fan has a slinger ring that tosses the water against the coil and aids in cooling it. You should see no dripping. I have not seen an AC with a drain tube for many years.

NEVER drill a hole in the bottom to drain the water. Many ACs have been trashed by that.

As for the Maytag, there may be other issues. Fan motor bearings going, poor design, restricted air flow, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am going to guess that the one that does drip is the oldest of the three. The two newer ones likely have a more modern and efficient design that does not normally drip.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan