ac solutions

Hi, Got a question about air conditioning my house. It is an old house, recently renovated with cathedral ceilings on the second (of two) floors. It has a one pipe steam heating system and no ac system. It is 1300 sq ft and the rooms are on the smaller side. The previous owner cooled the place with 5 window units. My question is, what options do I have to cool this place? Here are some thoughts I am having on this:

1) Use many window units. Pros: cools the house. Cons: ugly, loud, inefficient.

2) Use a couple huge window ac units on the second floor and let the cool air drop down the stairs and cool the rest of the house. pros: more efficient, quiet (moreso downstairs), less intrusive. cons: still ugly, will it even work? This works in the split level ranch I grew up in. With central ac, we would close all the vents except the top floor and it would still make the basement artic. Would it work in this two story colonial?

3) Install a high velocity central ac system. This is my fav option, but I have a number of outstanding q's on it. How much will the installation cost? Order of magnitude is fine - $1k/5k/10k? I have heard they are noisy - how noisy? Have they become less noisy in recent years? If I have no noise at all and I'm watching tv, how much will I have to turn the tv up to overcome the hissing of the ac? Is it louder than a brand new window ac unit? Is it louder than a ceiling fan turned on high?

Thanks! josh

Reply to
Josh

Unico are not noisy when designed and installed correctly. If the number of outlets per ton is above recommended it's actually the quietist air conditioning going. The problem is that it is expensive so the spec is cut and the noise increases (along with other airflow problems. If you want this kind of system expect to pay a decent amount but ensure the ratio is high. The other way would be for a Minisplit configeration like a floor standing unit

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

High velocity AC might be a good way for you to go. I'd say a minimum of $10k. Probably more depending on your application. Properly installed it's very quiet.

Another >Hi,

Reply to
Steve Scott

This is your BEST option.

$10K is a good starting point... HV is more expensive then regular split system equipment.

Noisy IF installed incorrectly.

None, IF installed correctly.

No, it's quieter.

Would depend on the ceiling fan.

If installed correctly, the unit will be very, VERY quiet.

Reply to
<kjpro

| If installed correctly, the unit will be very, VERY quiet.

Thanks! Know anyone in MA who installs them correctly?

Reply to
Josh

Can&#39;t help you there but you really want to make sure you get someone with a significant track record in installing these. A lot of local installers probably do your basic forced air hvac systems as their bread and butter. I&#39;m sure they do it well but they don&#39;t get a lot of opportunities to work on things like this, geothermal, etc. You want someone that specializes in this and can give you a lengthy list of satisfied customers thay have installed hv for. You are going to pay a premium for this equipment, don&#39;t cheese out and let some butt crack high school drop out install it because they will do it for half what the prefessional wants to charge. A poorly installed high tech system is the worst of all possible outcomes.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Not in MA... someone else here might know someone.

Call the local distributors and ask who&#39;s the best with HV systems.

Ask around neighbors, relatives, co-workers, church members, friends and family... see who they use and if they&#39;re happy with the services they receive.

Call Unico and Space Pak (or check their website) and see who&#39;s on their dealer list.

Reply to
<kjpro

The other option that came to mind was a mini-split system, installed at an upper level. This would get the compressor noise upstairs, and would also make the house cooler.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon