Air Conditioning question

We recently put in central air in the house. We have only one main trunk line going down center of the house. The family room is in the basement (where i spend most of my time). Heres the problem, since we put the central AC in, in order to cool the main floor to say 80 its between 60 or 65 in the basement. So upstairs stays too hot and downstairs too cold. I wrapped the ductwork in the basement with that tim foil covered insulation and cover all the vents with that insulation and tape them up yet it is still too cold. Is there any way to achieve a closer balance between the up and down spaces?

Reply to
myxpykalix

Sounds like an improperly designed installation. Your scenario is a common complaint. Since it was recently put in I would call the installing company back and ask them to fix the problem. DO NOT just block off the vents in the basement. Taken to extremes, this increases the static pressure on the air handler and can create other problems, including damage to your system.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

When I put in my AC, I did NOT use any return duct. The return path goes down the stairs to the AC unit at the other end of the basement. This seems to work for me, YMMV

Reply to
Nick Hull

Install a zoning system.

Reply to
HeatMan

Typical result of an improperly designed distribution and return system.

It appears whoever designed and installed the system did not do the proper calculations. Someone, and I believe it should be the original contractor at their expense, needs to do the calculations and correct the system.

As noted a zone system may be called for.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is that even legal? I was under the impression that you couldn't use any part of your means of egress as an air-handling space.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

It may work for you, but I believe it's against code.....

Reply to
HeatMan

Sometimes you can come up with simple solutions to A/C problems which the A/C folks would never think about...

Hot air rises, cold air falls. Is there a door closing off your basement from the rest of the house? Close it.

Where is the hot air? - Upstairs - hottest near ceiling. Where is the cold air? - Downstairs - coldest near floor.

How about 2 new ducts. One which has a blower in it and sucks the cold air from the basement floor up to the ceiling in the hottest room of your house, and another return duct without a blower which allows the hot air from the upstairs ceiling to go downstairs?

Reply to
Bill

Hi default, hope you are having a nice day

On 01-Sep-04 At About 00:55:22, default wrote to All Subject: Re: Air Conditioning question

d> From: default

d> Is that even legal? I was under the impression that you couldn't d> use any part of your means of egress as an air-handling space.

In most states it is not legal. if he has a gas fired unit he could also be setting his family up for disaster as it could very easily draw the exhaust fumes back down the chimney and cause the house to fill with carbon monoxide.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2