Why isn't table salt (NaCl) in five pound bags?

My mother would see something labeled $2.95 and she'd think $3, and then later she couldn't remember if it was 3 or 3.95, so it had the opposite effect from just pricing it at 3.

Same thing with bigger amounts like $29.95 or $299. She'd think 30 and replace that with 39, or 300 and then think 399.

Me, I can rarely remember numbers at all.

Not the same thing, but in NYC, because of Times Square, way back in the

50's or 60's they passed a law that a store can't go Out of Business for more than 3 months.
Reply to
micky

Note the 2013 date. I think Krugman was being facetious but it's hard to tell. He's a Keynesan. My economics course used Samuelson's 'Economics' as a text. I didn't but Keynes then, don't buy him now.

Reply to
rbowman

Yup. And androids are still dreaming of electric sheep.

Reply to
rbowman

I bought some cheese today, Wensleydale with blueberries. I've had it before and liked it. It was $8 for 7 ounces. No, as you were. It was $7.99. Pennies, which I don't even bother scraping out of the change return, could be eliminated if merchants dropped that time honored scam.

This summer I was at a stop and rob and bought a can of Rockstar. The sign on the cooler said 2 for $3 iirc. When she rang up $1.99 for one can she pointed out it said TWO for $3. I don't think I've run into that approach before.

Reply to
rbowman

Grocery stores aren't in the business of catering to people who make their own weed killer. Their target market is making their own baked goods, or sprinkling some on their food.

Is de-icing salt or water-softener salt unavailable where you live?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

It seems to be a mix here. I see a fair amount of Kirkland stuff in businesses.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

They will sell you 80 pound bags of salt for water softeners but 40 are more popular. In either case that is plenty of mediocre weed killer.

Reply to
gfretwell

Often I will go to the drug store and they will have something like vitamins, two for the price of one, and there is only one left.

I take it to the counter and say that all that was left was the free one.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

True, but they can reopen under another "name" and go out of business for another 3 months.

Just leave the Going Out Of Business sign up, right next to the "Under New Management" sign.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

No mix here -- there is no Sam's Club.

Reply to
rbowman

We don't even _have_ sam's club in the state. Plenty of costco (and former price club) stores. Costco is the prime supplier for small, medium and even large businesses around here.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nope. At the least, they'd have to find a new owner.

§ 20-318 Resumption of business. No person shall, upon the conclusion of any sale as defined in subdivision one of section 20-308 of this subchapter, continue to conduct a business or business operation of the same or similar nature to that for the discontinuance of which such license was issued at the same premises nor, within one year after the conclusion of such sale, resume such business at such same premises.

But you also can't bring in new merchandise during a going out of business sale, so you either don't sell much or you run out of things to sell.

micky

Is '§ 20-318 Resumption of business' the "50's or 60's law" that you mentioned earlier? (Just wondering if you are quoting something more recent than what you were talking about earlier.)

In any case, there are speed limits laws too. Are they always followed? I think not. There are hiring laws. Are they always followed? I think not. There are thousands upon thousands of laws. Are they all followed all the time? I think not.

I grew up in NYC. You spent some time there too.

In your actual experience, do you feel that the spirit of § 20-318 was followed back in the

60's and 70's? How often did you see the junk stores in Chinatown, the crappy pawn shops in Brooklyn and other low-end businesses "go out of business" time after time after time - well within the 1 year time frame? "Going Out Of Business" signs were a running joke when I was growing up in NYC.
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Up here there are wholesale grocers" that serve the small buisiness (and larger business) community. I imagine there are some small restaurants that use Costco/Kirkland as a supplier of some of their products/supplies but it does not appear to be wide-spread.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

By businesses, i was referring to companies like Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, Marvell, and the thousands of smaller non-restaurant companies and startups.

Restaurants get their supplies from various industry suppliers (e.g. Sysco).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's hard to drive anywhere without seeing one of these trucks :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Do you only eat at Olive Garden, or do you go to small restaurants that operate on a shoestring? Very small restaurants might buy some things at Kroger.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Both my favorite Chinese restaurant and my favorite Taqueria use small industy suppliers (each specializing in chinese and mexican foodstuffs).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Here even most of the company cafeterias buy (mostly) from the wholesalers. Many of them are bigger than a lot of restaurants

Reply to
Clare Snyder

WE have some top notch smaller restaurants that buy a lot from the local farmers' markets and produce auctions. Several local grocers also buy a lot from the local produce auctions in season (and year round for greenhouse produce)

Reply to
Clare Snyder