Salt as Root Control in Toilet?

I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street), what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots growing into your pipes.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just real stupid?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email) ~~~~~~~~~

Suzie-Q

I'm in NY state, where they salt the roads a lot. Does a lot of sheet metal and frame damage to the cars. I'd not want to put salt in my toilet tank, it would likely do damage to the float, and the various metals in the tank.

You could flush a fistful of rock salt (I'd not use table salt, it would dissolve too quickly). The various hardware stores sell stuff for this purpose. Plumbing department, and ask the clerk who's over 40 years old. Not the pimple faced teen.

.

His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.

Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.

Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just real stupid?

Thanks in advance,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email) ~~~~~~~~~

Stormin Mormon

Metal? In a toilet tank? Just how old *is* your house? ;-) You must still have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!

I'd certainly be sure there is no metallic waste pipe in the house, though. Salt won't likely hurt PVC, much, though that's not certain, either.

Water softener salt.

Reply to
krw

If your sewer pipes are letting roots in, they are broken.

Better to get the leaky pipes repaired.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@home.home:

That is the solution, but it is pricey. Not more pricey than a few years of rotorooting though. DAMHIKT. Make sure the street sewer isn't blocked. Mine was (dates from 1929), and that contributed to flooding experienced by neighbors. In other words, when they replace your "lateral" sewer line (house to street), ask the contractor to look down the main sewer and have him notify the town if he finds obstructions. Use the contractor who does most of the work for the town.

Reply to
Han

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer ass with aids water?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Actually, the roots can worm their way into unbroken pipes and then grow and break them. Either way, a repair is in order.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

Reply to
krw

The traditional "root remedy" is copper sulfate crystals since copper kills the parts of plants that it touches. I used it a few times, but found that the roots just came back when I wasn't paying attention such as during the winter when the ground was frozen. The best solution: plastic sewer pipes with no joints anywhere near a tree.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

As one who has tried the rock salt method for controlling roots, I can say with a bit of certainty that it doesn't work in cases where the roots are entering the top of the pipe.

Since the salt water running along the bottom of the pipe never contacts the hanging roots, the roots are left to hang free, snagging bits ot toilet paper and waste.

You'll start with a partial blockage (slow drains and gurgling drains/ toilets in the lower part of the house) and eventually enough stuff will get hung up to cause a full stoppage.

My next step is to try Root-X, which is a foaming product that supposedly coats the entire pipe and kills the roots.

I already have the product, I just have to wait until some roots grow back since the last cutting because the product likes growing ends to help it kill the roots.

See here:

DerbyDad03

I'd be more concerned about the cast iron drain pipes myself...

That said, I've heard this recommentation before, but not exactly phrased that way, what I've heard recommended is to put a bunch of rock salt in your laundry sink and dissolve that and let it drain,

1-2x a year. His way sounds like a good way to turn it into a constant release kind of thing, but I would share the concern about possible damage to metal components (I grew up in western PA and have seen the same things happen to vehicles... my dad had a '67 Olds that he bought new and it was retired something like 12 years later when the frame rusted completely through. At that time it was by far the oldest vehicle in the neighborhood, save for the next door neighbor's Cougar which hadn't actually been driven since I was old enough to notice.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

That's correct, but I think copper sulfate is not only traditional, it's also considered an environmental hazard and isn't sold anymore for that purpose.

I find the salt option kind of peculiar. You'd have to dump a big shovelful of salt into the toilet to get a mix that, when diluted, might discourage tree roots. But even if you did, other water use in your house that would dilute it would also pretty quickly flush it out. I guess if you put in a lot, and moved out for a few days to let the salty water take effect, it might work.

I think bezonitrile is what they use these days. Isn't that basically what RootX is? The stuff is a potent herbicide, and it's pretty toxic to fish and wildlife, but the version they use is biodegradable, and it gets foamy and sticky in the pipes to cling to the roots.

Reply to
Frank Foder

There is a recent thread on this very topic..... do a search.

Reply to
DD_BobK

He is the pot

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

use cupper sulphat , that stop roots without killing plants

Reply to
jeoff

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to shit himself, around here. Well, there is harry...

Reply to
krw

I'm glad that salt has worked for you, but it's not the be-all and end- all of root treatment.

I do essentially the same thing as you do, except that I put the salt/ saltwater in my basement shower stall which is right next to the last cleanout before the drain leaves the house. I also do it before leaving for work so no water is used all day.

It may do a good job of killing any roots on the bottom of the pipe (since the camera showed none) but it doesn't get to the roots entering from the top. When these roots get long enough - before reaching the bottom of the pipe where the water runs - they can snag debris floating on the water and eventually build up a clog.

It's been 5 weeks since my last snaking/cutting, so I'm going to use the Root-X sometime next week.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

e quoted text -

I believe thats why VERY HOT WATER works best.

The hot salt water vaporizes in the line killing all the roots.

cold water might be less affective. plus i do laundry in the days after the initial treatment, the waste water empties into the washtub with the remaining salt, retreating the line again.

what can i say its worked for me for near 15 years, and every joint but one had roots....

i encourage people to at least try it. even with a clog.

the salt water isnt hazardous, skin exposure to copper sulfate may make you ill:( and its dirt cheap too.

softener salt could also be used if you live where rock salt isnt available

Reply to
bob haller

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.

Reply to