American Standard Champion Toilet- Metering water level in bowl

What component, if any, is used to adjust the amount of water that is routed to the bowl ?

It seems that the water level is not consistent; sometimes too little to avoid skid marks.

Reply to
Vince

Most toilets that are fed by a water closet empty the entire contents into the bowl. The only exception that I know of, would be toilets with a pressurized toilet flush valve.

Reply to
Bob

The small black tube from the ballcock to the overflow tube does the refilling of the bowl after the flush. If the refill tube has fallen off or is not producing water, the bowl level won't be correct.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi Vince

I assume you dont mean how much goes through but what governs the final level? More water is used to flush than just maintains that..

I'll admit I havent torn a US dunny to pieces just yet...

An Australian one however is set by the height of the exit pipe. The entire pipe configuration is usually an "S" shape on its side (thats why they call it the S bend...) such that if you pour water in one of the upward facing holes it maintains the same level in the system by letting excess go out the downward facing hole. ie the geometry of the porcelein construction.

Varying heights is always associated with air pressure in the downstream waste line, either permanently or temporarily. The main reason for a sewer vent is in fact to keep the pressure the same as atmospheric. You'll also find that geometry and fall height from other services in your area can lower pressure temporarily and thus pull the level down. I had a really stinky situation once where I was on the end of a 40ft fall from above. It use to drag so much water from the toilet when they emptied their bath that it left an air gap and the sewer smell entered the house. It was resolved by placing an sewer vent just downstream of my toilet.

The only way to get the "inward" level higher is to raise some part of the exit pipe higher. That can be easy or difficult depending on its construction. The simplest being to build up the lower pipe level with some concrete. You might get blockages more easily though..

Cheers Bob

V> What component, if any, is used to adjust the amount of water that is

Reply to
Bob Bob

Which do you mean, the amount that is flushed, or the height of the water in the bowl after the flush?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The flexible tube might have fallen off or is not now positioned correctly. Should the water discharge into the tank? or down into the overflow tube ?

This AmStd Champion model is a modern design; no ballcock. Mine was put into service in OCTober 2005. The lift chain had fallen away and I reinstalled that to get the toilet to flush again, but perhaps the tube should be pointed into the overflow tube ? It is now discharging into the tank.

Reply to
Vince

I mean the height of the water in the bowl after the flush.

About two-thirds of the amount of water in the tank is discharged during each flush action, but sometimes the water level after the flush is (seemingly) very low.

Reply to
Vince

There's your problem. The small plastic tube should discharge right into the overflow standpipe. Often there is a small holder built into the top of the standpipe to hold the fill tube, but it might have a clip.

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Refill Tube goes into the overflow tube/pipe.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm not familiar with any commode that has no ballcock, but I believe the little tube should lead to the central tube (at least it does in other commodes).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This toilet is virtually a new unit; put into service in OCTober 2005. During a flush, the stopper repositions prior to allowing all of the water to flow into the bowl. I estimate that about two-thirds flows out prior to the stopper engaging.

Reply to
Vince

I have mounted the refill tube's clip into a hole that is in the trip lever arm, but will look again for a hole in the standpipe, because that would allow avoidance of flexing the tube during each activation of the trip lever. The after-flush water level is now great; has never been so high. Should please my wife.

Reply to
Vince

I am probably not using correct terminology. I mean that there is no BALL-on-an-arm, as in the older toilet designs.

Reply to
Vince

The clip should go over the edge of the "flush tower" (the tall plastic part in the middle) with the water aiming into the tower.

Feel around the underside of the rim of the flush tower for a couple of closely spaced ridges; they should be at approx. 12 o'clock, but you can turn the whole thing until they are. The bottom part of the clip should fit between these two ridges so it doesn't wander around.

The water level is adjusted by changing the position of the clip on the vertical wire on the float assembly at the left: squeeze the two parts of the clip together and slide it up or down. The water level should be just below the top edge of the flush tower.

The "skid marks" seem to be unavoidable. It's possible to buy a thing called a toilet brush.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy