Salt in pool

I just installed a Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator made by Goldline Controls Inc. Everything went smooth, Plumbing the turbo cell & flow meter was a lot easier than I thought. Wiring the electronic control was a breeze even for me with a limited knowledge of electrical stuff. Now hears were I'm having a problem, the pool supply said I need 550 Lbs. of salt ( the electric flow in the turbo cell turns the salt into chlorine) they only had 400Lbs he said to put the bags of salt in the pool and spread them around they will dissolve in a couple hours. So that's what I did, well it's been 5 days the bags are still sitting on the bottom of the pool. The water is pretty cold; maybe it's just to cold to dissolve the bags? Maybe they have been on the shelf to long? I did get the last he had. If I could get them out I could take them back for new ones. My son said he would get in and get them, but besides the cold water he is only 10, 50Lbs. bags would be hard to lift for him. Maybe me and my wife could get them but she can hardly swim. I should of known everything was going to smooth any suggestions? Thanks in advance Dave

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Dave, You should cut open the bags and while walking around the pool, dump the salt in. The pump/filter should be running to circulate the water to help dissolve the salt. Dive in , cut open the bags, and make sure you remove all of the bags as they will clog your pump intake. Enjoy your pool, salt beats chlorine anyday....

Reply to
alvaradotx

Dave-

Unless you're pulling our legs................. :)

I would assume the guy meant, dump the "contents" of the bags into pool & spread the "contents" (ie the salt) around in the pool.

I checked the solubility of salt in water & it isn't effected by temperature much (which makes sense since salt stays dissolved even in icy ocean water) It's about 35 grams per 100 milliliters of water.

Here's my take......the salt isn't "old", the water isn't too cold.

Just break open the bags & spread the salt around. Run the pool filter t(until the slat dissolves) to get some circulation going. Open the suction at the main drain & push the slat closer to it (not into it) the flow over the salt will speed dissolving process.

Leaving the slat heaped on the pool floor could (maybe) cause plaster discoloration.

I would have suggested adding the salt more slowly but I think point I doubt its worth the freezing experience of going into a 55 deg pool?

btw underwater those bags will weigh about 30 pound......been a while since I worked with a 10 year old but he might be able to muscle them to the stpes where you can get them.

If you take them out beware of the "drainage", it will be bad for your plants. Maybe you can drop them into a clean plastic trash can & dissolve there & then dump it back into the pool

According to my conversion of the solubility of salt (350 grams per liter) you should be able to dissolve about 2.5 pounds per gallon of water.

I assuming you've got about 20,000 gallons..............400 pounds of salt in 20,000 gallons should give you about 2400 ppm .......just about perfect, maybe a little shy.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Send your wife for swimming lessons. No reason she should get off easy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some interesting reading:

giroup01

Lessons would preclude an early collection of life insurance.

-- Oren

Oren

Yeah, you could take the guy's line two ways, and I think you're right.

When I was on a tour of the steel mill, it surprised me how they went about putting 50 pound bags of magnesium or whatever in the steel mix. They didn't bother opening them. They just through in the whole bag.

Of course the 1000+ degree molten steel would burn up the paper bag, and the carbon that is left is also a useful and calculated-for additive. I don''t think the pool water will do the same thing.

Reply to
mm