Table salt as weedkiller?

Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it although the weeds always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block paviour patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Close to useless and will migrate to where you don't want it if applied in quantities sufficient to actually kill weeds.

Pathclear - although the new formulation is nowhere near as good as the old one containing the persistent inhibitor Simazine.

Haven't tried rootkill yet. Glyphosate will do what I want most times.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message , Dave Baker writes

Shirley rock salt would be cheaper still? Likely to work but remember nearby trees may have roots under the gravel.

Dose of Glyphosate. Don't walk over the lawn afterward.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1 for Glyphosate - I buy it by the 20 litre drum from the local agrichem place, though I so still have a sack of sodium chlorate :)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I ain't a chemist, but I'm pretty sure that table salt is sodium chlorIDE - which isn't the same thing as sodium chlorATE!

Reply to
Roger Mills

It should kill any weeds if the solution is strong enough by way of reverse osmosis.

mark

Reply to
mark