Why isn't table salt (NaCl) in five pound bags?

Why isn't table salt (NaCl) commonly available in five pound bags?

Go to any supermarket or grocery store and you can find flour and sugar and rice in five pound bags.

Go to Costco and you can get a bag with ten times that amount.

But not table salt.

Why not?

Reply to
John Robertson

Businesses might use that much. Costco is the go-to vendor for small business.

A typical home kitchen recipe might call for 3/4 pound of flour and 1 teaspoon of salt.

I think you can figure it out.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Who says you can get five pound bags of sugar? They quit putting out sugar in 5 lb bags years ago. Now it comes in

4 lb bags.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Who is "they"?

You can buy sugar in many different weights, including 5 lbs.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It depends on what your grocery store (or dollar store) thinks will sell the best.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...
[snip]

I dunno. Those supposed 4 pound bags seem every bit as heavy as those 5 pound bags I used to carry when I was 20 years younger...

Reply to
danny burstein

I have not seen a 5 lb bag of sugar in many years in any of the 3 major store brands near me. Back in the late 1960's I worked as a stock and bag boy at a grocery store. That store had several items sold very low like sugar, shortning and bread to bring people in. It was just a grocery store but in the winter time we got in lots of Prestone antifreze and sold it for a lot less than most places. A service station owner remarked it was less than he could buy it. The sugar came in with 5 pound bags and they were wrapped up in a large paper package of 60 pounds. I think it was 39 cents for the 5 pound bag.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, it depends on your grocery store thinking you won't notice a 5 pound sack of sugar weighs 4 pounds or s 3 pound can of coffee weighs 29 ounces.

I bought some Kleenex yesterday. I vaguely remember when the box had 225 tissues; now it has 144. I get spring mix salad greens. You have to be careful that the 1 pound plastic bin doesn't contain 11 ounces.

Reply to
rbowman

And you're paying more for less. Welcome to modern monetary theory.

"The United States can pay any debt it has because we can always print money to do that. So there is zero probability of default"

Alan Greenspan

That was 10 years ago. Biden took it to heart.

Reply to
rbowman

I forget what I paid for my last 4 pound bag of sugar but it wasn't 39 cents. That's not a major expense in my budget since the only things that eat (or drink) it are the hummingbirds. It is amazing how fast birds that weigh as much as a ping pong ball can go through 4 pounds of sugar.

Reply to
rbowman

Maybe Biden will get his face on the trillion dollar coin. The coin will show Biden behind a podium with his head in his hands. It will end up in the Las Vegas pawn shop featured on the tv series Pawn Stars.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That down sizing of packages has been going on for years. Keep things the same price but reduce the contents , later relable the old size box the 'economany or family' size and raise the price. Sometimes it is the same size box with less in it. For sugar and other heavy items I can see cutting down the size, but not small items.

People are funny in the way they think about prices lots of times. I know a man that sold things at a farmers marked. He was selling something for 25 cents and not doing very well at that, he marked through the price on his sign and put 3 for a dollar. People started buying 3 of them. They did not seem to realise they were paying almost

9 cent more each. Probably why stores such as Kohls send out letters with 20 to 30 % off each week. Then they give you the Kohls dollars where you have to come back to the store to use them.

Those rebates and gift cards irriatate me to no end when it comes to buying things. Some stores put items on what seem to be a revolving sale. One week it may be shirts of a certain brand. Miss it and wait 2 to 4 weeks and they will be on sale again. That is not seasonal stuff for close outs but monthly rotations.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Modern? Biden? Damn, the Derangement Syndrome is strong with this one.

Hell, back in the 1960's Mad Magazine pointed out these techinques (bigger front on boxes, shallower depths, air whipping, etc., etc., etc.) being used to get consumers to pay more for less.

Reply to
danny burstein

I survived the "Lettuce Wars".

Back in the 80's we had 3 grocery store chains competing for our dollars. For some reason, Iceberg Lettuce became the WMA used in the conflict. (Weapon of Mass Attraction). The price kept dropping, chain by chain, until it was as low as a nickel a head.

(I made up the WMA term but the Lettuce Wars was actually the nickname used at the time.)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Not to mention salt absorbs moisture and before the 5 lb bag was anywhere close to used up it would be a "salt lick" block.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Most homemade weed killer recipes use a lot more than a teaspoon of salt.

They use a few cups of table salt at a time.

Some say to use Epsom Salt instead of Table Salt but others say no.

John Robertson

I have at least 5 lbs of salt in my cabinet at any given time. Kosher salt, Sea salt, Ice Cream salt, etc.

I don't recall any of it ever forming a "salt lick". (Yes, it takes just as long for 5 lbs of different salts to be used up as a single 5 lb bag of whatever kind of salt you think turns into a salt lick.)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Decades ago a high school classmate worked part time at a department store and they had shirts for $2. They put them on sale for two for #5.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Actually, Sam's Club is more directed towards small business supply than Costco, especially food service...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I checked Wegmans and Giant and they both are selling 4 lb. bags of Domino and their house brands. $2.89, 2.89, and 3.29,

and Domino Golden Sugar Less Processed $3.29 3.5 LB PKG

Reply to
micky