Why does Home Depot refund Cash for Debit Card purchases?

Typically every rewards card has that wording printed on it. And since the great majority of these transactions are electronic I can't imagine it would be that involved to determine how to process them.

Would you patronize a store named say "Fair-Mart" that posted and promotes the following:

We don't expect you to pay for items in the other persons cart so we also don't expect you to pay bank fees and "rewards" that are not applicable to your transaction so those additional costs are directly added only to those transactions.

Reply to
George

Not mine. It's not in the card issuer's interest to make that information easily known. This is especially true if retailers start penalizing users.

Would you patronize "Fair Mart" if they sold merchandise that didn't perform as agreed?

Reply to
krw

How would it be a penalty if customers had to pay for what they get? If someone has a "rewards" card the merchant is providing additional value in the purchase?

Do you think that folks should pay for what they get?

Not sure what if anything that has to do with CC transactions.

Reply to
George

The CC company is. The CC user has a contract with the CC issuer, which they're both in compliance with. The merchant has a contract with the CC clearance house, which they're both (presumably) in compliance with. No one is being forced to do anything. What's not to like?

Sure, they do when the bill comes. Everone follows the terms of their contract.

The merchant contracted to accept CCs. No one forced him to. Think about it some more.

Reply to
krw

Well, it could be that I pay for just about everything with my debit card so I don't have to deal with getting change, waiting while they count it out, jingle the coins around in my pocket, etc.

I slide my debit card, push a few buttons and I'm done. It's quick and easy...I'm impatient.

I've got no problem carrying cash when there's a need for it and I usually have $40 - $50 in my pocket at any given time, but rarely do I need to have $200+.

Indirectly, yes. When I think I want a little cash, I use the cash back feature of my debit card and get $40 or $50 back from the cashier. Grabbing 2 twenties out of the register is pretty easy for most cashiers.

Even if they offered it, I'd never ask for $200.

Incidentals can be bought with a debit card, you know.

I don't have to stop at the bank *ever* to take out cash. I get my cash at the same place I pay for my purchases - the store's cashier or self check out registers. So having $200 in my pocket saves the minuscule amount of time required to have the cashier hand it to me. There's no "stop at the bank" saved.

Besides, it isn't about the current $200 anyway. If I buy something for $16.57 on my debit card and return it, that's coins in my pocket that I don't need. In fact, when I returned the $200+ items, it was on multiple receipts and the cashier processed each return as a separate transaction. I had well over a dollar's worth of coins in my pocket and a bunch of singles when I was done. Who needs that?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You posted a link for Home Depot in Canada. I live in the US.

Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.

and

Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.

So, even without a receipt, a receipt for a debit card purchase can be "looked up", making it subject to the first policy, where it states that returns can be "refunded in cash". They do say "credited to your account" but it's never happened to me. I'm guessing they mean an account that a business might have, not the account that my debit card is attached to.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Didja notice the "just venting..." line at the beginning of my post?

That's why I posted to usenet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Who knew? I thought the CC company was getting the money from the merchant?

I am not saying the merchant should go against the agreed term but contracts are renew and changed/renegotiated all of the time.

Currently if you use a "rewards" card you only pay for part of your rewards. My thoughts were that it is fair and reasonable to pay the total cost.

Yes, but times change. Lots of people like me don't like banks and don't want to pay extra to help them out.

Reply to
George

You don't think there is a contract in place?

He can refuse to sign the contract and refuse credit cards, too.

The merchant pays *all* of it. It's part of his COGS. His choice.

Then don't use credit cards. No one is forcing them on you. Meanwhile I'll take the 1%, thank you.

Reply to
krw

If you are a Walmart or even a Sears, you can negotiate. If you are a ma'n'pa local store, it is take it or leave it.

Reply to
aemeijers

Who said there wasn't? Look at the big picture.

Absolutely, or he can demand a fairer system.

I don't think so. Ultimately the purchaser is the one who pays for the goods and all overhead and expenses related to selling them.

Currently if two folks walk in to purchase something and customer "A" has a rewards card and customer "B" pays cash both are paying towards the cost of the transaction. Since the cost of "rewards" and the costs of handling cash are all rolled together customer "A" is only paying for part of their rewards while customer "B" is helping to pay for customer "A"s rewards.

Reply to
George

I noticed many of them are not interested in paying a tribute to timmy geitners "too big to fail" buddies so they will talk regarding price if you offer cash/check as payment. So you end up with a better final price.

Reply to
George

Clearly clueless.

Demand from whom?

Clearly you have a lot to learn about capitalism.

No, you're forgetting the seller down the street.

Reply to
krw

You lost by going for the ad hominem attack. I get it that you like to imagine there is no cost to anyone for your "rewards" since it is just "overhead". But do you really think the tooth fairy is paying for your "rewards"?

Remember that contract thing you mentioned?

Sorry most knowledgeable one, please explain in detail how someone besides the customer ultimately pays for the goods and the cost of selling them that they purchase?

Reply to
George

re: "What is the sound of one man venting, grasshopper?"

The sound of over 80 usenet replies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, but cash discounts violate the CC agreement, don't they? (Since it amounts to a surcharge to use CCs)

Reply to
aemeijers

Sorry, but facts are facts.

I'm not a Democrat. I know money doesn't grow on trees. Costs are paid out of the seller's profits. He can't raise the price because someone down the street can then sell at a lower price. Simple economics.

Fine. Go for it. Since they don't, you're SOL. Sorry, the only vote you get is to take your business elsewhere. Stop whining.

One word: competition. Now, go back and take a rudimentary economics course.

Reply to
krw

I believe that's wrong. Many businesses do offer cash discounts (e.g. gas stations). They are *not* allowed to pass-on costs but they can discount from advertised prices.

Reply to
krw

Not really, just your interpretation. But you do discredit yourself when you choose to insult people.

You do know there are two ways to adjust prices to achieve the same results right?

I will mention that to some folks I know who are part of a 400 store co-op who recently negotiated a deal with a new credit card processor that specifically allows for them to offer cash discounts. It also allows for them to issue their own gift cards which the CC will not get a cut of.

So much for your self proclaimed expert status.

Why the need to make yourself look silly with the constant personal attacks?

Reply to
George

Yes, thats why merchants are renegotiating contracts where possible. There was a local case like you describe. A local family has some local stores and they decided to offer a cash discount at the register. It went to an upper level court who affirmed the decision against them.

Reply to
George