Driveway Paving

Hello,

Before I start getting Congtractors in, would like to ask all of you experts: For a typical home driveway re-do:

What should the depth of the gravel beneath the asphalt that the Contractor should/will put down be ?

What depth of Asphalt on top would make a good job ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

I'm no expert but had mine repaved this spring. Contractor only removed parts of old asphalt that were badly cracked and might read through new paving. He only added a little gravel to those spots, about equivalent to asphalt removed. I did have it widened by 2 feet but don't recall depth of gravel.

Reply to
Frank

Bob wrote the following:

Humorous pedant response follows. Viet Cong tractors?

Reply to
willshak

I'm not so sure about the base, but I've hear of anywhere from 4" to 12". Depends on the soil too.

As for the coating, it is generally a 2" thick coarse basecoat and a finer

2" top coat.

Be sure the contractor specifies what he is to put down and be sure to take a peek as he is putting it down. You can get away with less, but it will start to show wear in a few years, especially if you have heavy traffic.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It also depends heavily on where you live (winter? hot summer? water table?) and what kind of base you have underneath (clay? sand? ledge? bedrock?)

A good local contractor will know the area and take a look at your particular place and figure it out. Get a couple of contractors and look at the ones that agree on prep.

Reply to
Andrew Duane

Why not ask your County Engineer what the spec is for lesser used roads? Probably a driveway wold be pretty durable at some fraction of that, say 80%. He may also have useful comments about substrate preparation, like what size and depth of gravel in your area would provide the ideal drainage. In any event, you will need permits for the project, and there may also be specs required to be attached to that request. Its much easier if you get to right the first time out.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote

You meant to say "permits MAY be needed" For a re-do, many towns do not require a permit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mea culpa, Ed. That should have read 'permits may be needed'. In our village, the permit bar is down to $500 on most projects, so it pays to check.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

As long as you do not make it wider, or significantly change the grade, permits are seldom required. Widen it more than 6 inches and you MAY have an issue.

Reply to
clare