Block Paving Driveway

What are the thoughts on laying a membrane down to prevent weeds etc growing, and does this allow the rain water to seep away OK. On that subject how well does rain water seep away from a flat block paving driveway?

Reply to
RaT

If the driveway is built properly (150mm sub-base, 50mm sand, block) then there is no need to insert a membrane for weed suppression - nothing should grow through from the base.

Weeds & grass sometimes grow in the accumulated crap in the joints, but they can be easily removed by jet washing and/or a stiff broom.

As to drainage, just after installation, a small amount of water will seep through the joints, but very quickly, the surface 'seals' itself and becomes impervious. Drainage needs to be designed into the paving scheme, usually in the form of line drainage, and the paving must be laid to falls to drain the water away. A 'flat' driveway will eventually settle in places, leading to ponding of the water.

Hope this helps

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

Hi Group, This interests me . I have recently had my drive done with block paving and the sand is washing out from between the blocks. Do I leave it and hope for the best or sweep some cement around in an effort to refill the gaps? I don't have to worry about drainage because the drive is quite steep. The hose pipe ban should stop the car washing on the drive! Thanks in advance Alan

Reply to
Roberts

NNOOOOO!

Cement will stain the blocks irreparably. If the sand is getting washed out due to the slope of the drive, you can seal the paving to keep the sand in place

These came from a quick google:

are the market leaders in the UK and a good source of info.

but I cannot vouch for the products - there are many out there, and various price points - you gets what you pay for!!

Couple of comments on sealing:

- It will enhance the colour and give the paving a wet look

- It will protect against oil & other stains

- It will wear away in the area's that are trafficked, and will need to be re-applied.

If you don't want to seal, then the only thing to do is to re-apply the top sand (use kiln dried only) using a soft broom. The block's don't need to be 'wacked' again.

HTH

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

But wacking the sand in can help this problem, apply a generous amount of "Kiln dried sand" brushing it all over so that you have a "proud" layer, then using the scuff (rubber) on the wacker if you are afraid of damaging your blocks (i never used it but then i have used a wacker plate a fair few times) run over it a few times, helps to secure the blocks and stop the rain washing it back out. Thats what i used to do anyway, and i did a fair few in my time

Reply to
>{daZza

Reply to
Roberts