Block paving question. Sand or sand/cement for the gaps?

I'm widening my driveway and laying more block paving (standard 20 x10 cm blocks).

Something that has always annoyed me about the old block paving is the ability of weeds to set up home in all the gaps.

I know that the recommended way of "setting" the blocks in to use kiln dried sand but is there any reason not to use a sand/cement mixture and deprive weeds of a chance to get rooted in the gaps?

This would also mean I could pressure wash the drive without digging out all the sand.

Any comments?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Sorry cannot answer your Q. but did you do the job yourself? is it easy for a competent DIY'er?

Reply to
Vass

All but sawing the main trunk of the tree I felled. (Had to get a man in with a chainsaw).

is it easy for a competent DIY'er?

Doubt I qualify as "competant". I'll post some pictures at the end and you can make your own judgement. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

try pavingexpert.com?

One problem with cement is the potential for staining but I guess it depends what blocks you have.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks. I've just been looking at that link but it makes no mention of sand/cement mixtures which, on reflection, don't really fit with the concept of "flexibility" which is kind of inherent in any domestic blockpaving that

*isn't* laid on a solid base. Maybe I'll have to think again.

Would a gallon of brick acid sloshed about deal with that?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I used that, but the weeds still come.

But at least you can as you say pressure wash..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used about 6:1 sand - sharp sand - and white cement - matches sandstone quite well. It became equivalent to grouting tiles in methodology.

A couple of places have moved and cracked - when I get round tuit I'll repack the cracks..

Yup. Unless you used limestone slabs..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that if you read the oracles at pavingexpert.com, they will tell you that if you are making a flexible drive (meaning MOT type 1 plus sand then blocks) that the gaps should be filled with sand only and not with sand/cement.

There is a different procedure entirely for making a rigid drive. This is where the base is something firm such as concrete. Then the blocks are laid and pointed. As much as anything, this is to keep water away from the concrete base. This is not a common technique at all for domestic drives.

Having said all of that, I had a new drive laid just before Christmas using handmade bricks. This has been done on a flexible basis and has worked very well indeed. A few points on this -

- The jointing sand must be completely dry before use. If water penetrates the bag, it's useless because you need the sand to trickle finely into the gaps.

- Likewise the blocks themselves. They need to be dry, so a good 2-3 days without rain before jointing is good.

One issue that I have had is that there is a soldier course of bricks (approx 250mm) immediately in front of the garage door. In front of it, across the whole width, there is an Arco drain (strip drain) to prevent water reaching the garage from the slope of the drive. However, when it rains heavily against the door, wuit a bit of water tends to flow from the door side towards the drain along the joins of the soldier course, as a result tending to wash out the sand. In order to address this, when I refilled the gaps I mixed in a little cement with the jointing sand. This was poured very carefully into the joints using a cakemaking icing bag so that none would appear on the surface. I then made a couple of very light passes with a plant sprayer. This has worked well in that the material has not washed out. However, doing this on the scale of an entire drive would be several days work and not a good idea anyway.

As to the weeds.... I have found that a spraying of the whole drive with Pathclear in mid March has worked well. It's supposed to last for the season, but I don't mind doing it again if not.

I wouldn't want to pressure wash a drive anyway - destroys the character.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All depends on the size of the gaps. Cement isn't going to set with any strength in small cracks.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They will grow in the crud that falls onto the paving over time anyway...

You can do that with sand fill so long as you keep the angle of application shallow.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does anyone make a fine-powdered persistent weedkiller that you could "dilute" with kiln-dried sand and brush in to the gaps? That would be much more useful than sprays like Pathclear; most of that gets wasted on the blocks.

Reply to
LSR

Salt?

Probably too soluble and biblical though. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Sand only, sand/cement *WILL* stain concrete blocks Brick acid will clean the cement stains off, but will also etch the surface of the blocks and expose the aggregate - highly variable results, and it will affect the colour.

Use weedkiller annually, or a stiff broom to remove the weeds & crud. They only grow in the surface of the joints, as the blocks shoudl be too tightly fitted to allow weed growth from below.

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

The Medway Handyman

There are 2 types of adhesive sand for this. One sticks to itself only, and the much more expensive type also sticks to the blocks, and lasts much better.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Never heard of adhesive sand. Details?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You brush it in, and it sets like glued sand. Its just a more durable replacement for sand, and doesnt stain like cement.

meow2222

Based on my experience today, I'd say - Get a man in!

Getting everything levelled & smoothed off is *much* harder than I thought it was going to be. Cutting blocks is a pain.

Part of the problem is that I'm adding to an existing driveway and the drive has both positive and negative curves (i.e. humps and hollows). In an ideal world I would rip the whole lot up and re-lay it all flat but that's more work than I'm prepared to do.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie