Block paving and weed/moss growth

I had a new block paving driveway installed several years ago. I considered a patterned concrete drive - but just don't like the look of them too much.

The big disadvantage of block paving is, of course, weeds and moss growing in the joints. It's also a pain cleaning the drive with a pressure washer because it blasts all the sand out of the joints.

My neighbour, who has a block paving driveway also tried using one of these resing coatings that you put on the driveway with a roller. Supposed to seal the blocks *and* the joints to prevent weed growth - but it hasn't worked and he still has the same problem as me.

Is there no type of setting 'grout' that can be used with block paving to fill the joints with a solid material that will not permit the growth of weeds and moss?

DIY

Reply to
DIY

Just use a sodium chlorate solution every year about end of march

Reply to
Alang

Rake out the joints and clean the site of all debris.

Wait for a nice dry sunny day. Mix/buy mortar mix and scatter over the paving and then brush over with a soft broom working it into the cracks.

Either spray with a hose on mist setting or leave for it to rain.

Reply to
EricP

Here is an idea that I came up with for filling the gaps in patio slabs, but not suitable in this case as the gap would be too small, I never tried it but it might work well. Fill the gaps about 2/3rds full with a silicone sealant, then before the sealant sets, brush in sand of the required colour, when the sealant sets the sand would then be set in the sealant, and the joint should, in theory, stay flexible and weed free, but would it work practically?

Reply to
Harry Stottle

One of the main problems with block paving, of course, is that unlike patio slabs, the blocks are small and the gaps far more numerous. It would take forever to manually 'grout' every gap surrounding every block on my driveway.

The idea of brushing in a weak cement mix and then 'watering it', as suggested above, did occur to me - but the blocks are rough surfaced and I'm concerned that they would be covered in cement stains after attempting such a 'cure' for the weeds.

DIY

Reply to
DIY

Its a dry mix and won't stain unless the blocks are wet

Reply to
Trigger

Indeed - but you have to wet it in order to get it to set and unless you can wash all the swept residue off the faces of the bricks then you will get some staining!

DIY

Reply to
DIY