Block paving - in between the gaps

Have a block paving driveway on my property (came with the house). Seems to be just sand between the blocks, though now it is more sand and weeds. Can I brush out the sand, and use weedkiller then use a dry mix of sand and cement to "seal" the gaps between the blocks ?

Also, I have some slabs in the patio - is it recommended to fill the gaps between these with a dry mix of sand and cement ?

TIA

Reply to
icornish

Block paving works with friction and you're not supposed to use cement. I've heard some say to use a very light cement mix to sprinkle over the top to help seal the sand in but I don't go near the stuff.

For patio slabs you should use a sand and cement mix. If you're using it dry then first drench the joints with water then make good as it sets as you would brick pointing.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Thanks for the advise.

Re the block paving, apart from flooding it with weedkiller, and putting new sand down, any suggestions to keep the weeds at bay?

Reply to
icornish

This might help, look here

'Maintenance'

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Don't use cement on the block paving as you will stain it. It is special kiln dried sand that goes between the joint. See these web sites:

Steven Campbell

Seeds will get into any small crack full of wet sand and germinate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Flood it with a sodium chlorate weed killer - lasts up to 6 months.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Kiln dried sand will cost a bomb. It might be useful for using as a filler with the sort of resin used with fibre-glass.

All you need to do once you have put weed killer down (as you don't own a British made diesel) is brick-sand, a warm, sunny day and a soft broom.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Kiln dried sand is available in Wickes at about £2:50 a bag - it's cheap as chips. Dave

Reply to
david lang

Where do you shop for your kiln dried sand? Its under £5 a bag and 1 bag does me for a 3 car drive.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

... and 'up to' are the operative words, in our paved areas it keeps the weeds at bay for six weeks if we're lucky.

Reply to
usenet

At that price it's quite a lot cheaper than chips - chips from the chippie are £1 a poke round here.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Use kiln dried sand and brush it in with a broom

Someone on a diy group (this one?) asked a chap spraying weeds using a backpack sprayer, on a pavement area, what brand of weed killer he was using. He replied 'salt and wate"r. Chap who asked the question tried this at home and said it worked. I'll be trying this soon but it may be worth a go.

Reply to
nafuk