Block Paving weeds :(

Had our block paving put down in 2002. No problem at all with that.

Over the years, slowly, weeds started popping up. I'd put down weedkiller and pull the rest up.

Last year, had a knock on the door, and a jobbing tradesperson who was pressure cleaning a drive a few doors down offered to clean ours and get all the weeds out and re-sand the cracks.

Normally I'd have said no thanks, but given I could see them working, and the finished results, I gave it a punt.

All seemed OK. Sure enough, weeds were blasted out, and they re-sanded and it all looked lovely.

That was last year. Currently I think I must be growing enough weeds to win an award of some sort. Seriously - they are *everywhere* popping up through the cracks ...

1) Is this something to do with the cleaning ?| 2) If so does it mean something was missed ? 3) How to best stop it for future ?
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think it's just been a good year for the ro^H^Hweeds ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Possibly weed seed in the sand they used, but I think that's unlikely, especially if it was kiln-dried, which should have killed any seeds. If they just blasted off the tops of deep-rooted weeds such as dandelions, thistles or plantains, they will grow again from the root fairly quickly.

Spray the lot with glyphosate fairly soon, and it will kill _all_ the weeds, roots and all, slowly over the next two or three weeks. Don't expect instant death the day after spraying, and do it on a fairly calm day otherwise spray drift will also kill nearby plants.

Or you can use a residual weedkiller combining glyphosate/flufenacet/metosulam (Bayer Ground Clear Weedkiller or Bayer Path, Patio & Drive Weedkiller), or glyphosate/diflufenican (Scotts Weedol Pathclear range). These not only kill the existing weeds but contain chemicals that kill fresh weed seedlings as they germinate, so will stop weeds re-growing in the medium term. It lasts a few months but then needs to be re-done.

The new Pathclear isn't as good as it used to be; they've had to change the formulation. The original version kept weeds at bay for a lot longer, up to twelve months. I blame the EUsual suspect (whether I'm justified, I don't know!).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Door to door guy mixes weed seeds into the sand. Expect another visit soon with him offering to sort it out? :-)

(I've no usful suggestion, sorry :-) )

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Highway salt. Dissolve in water and pour on. There may be a free source near you.

Reply to
harry

Without stealing it from tips or stores where do you find a free source of Highway Salt? I could do with topping up my stocks in case next winter is worse than last.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Does anyone make a granular weedkiller for block paving you could quickly brush in? With liquid sprays you either waste most of it or spend ages directing a narrow jet between blocks.

Reply to
Reentrant

Bet its due to the resanding, the sand would have been riddled with weed seeds.

Reply to
Hector

Its a very good year for growing things. Lots of rain and some nice sun. I'm in the same situation, every crack every spare bit of soil and even concrete is producing an astounding number of plants from beach trees through to thistles, blackbury plants and othe forms of bramble which seem to grow about three iinces a day at least. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It does not kill everything though, a bloke down the road did this now he seems to be plagued with some form of wild and smelly onion with little white flowers instead. I understand you see these on cliffs and shorelines so they must like salt.# Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't know of any. Plenty of weedkillers available in granular form, but they're simply to aid dissolving in water in a can and then watering on, rather than spreading granules directly on the cracks.

A marketing opportunity for someone?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

White vinegar is said to be a good weed killer and non staining.

rick