Which of these 4 spots (2 on tire, 2 on wheel) are supposed to be lined up?

you're just looking for outdated carp that agrees with your underinformed preconceptions, not the actual facts. truth is, and this is what you simply keep refusing to acknowledge, that with modern quality tires, it's a complete waste of time so you're just a loony howling at the moon.

Reply to
jim beam

relative to a buick, but as a definitive statement, that's simply the delusional ravings of someone susceptible to marketing propaganda.

yeah, that's why their specific outputs are so low and they use macpherson strut. but you're not interested in facts, just the tag-lines of advertising agencies.

Reply to
jim beam

Because Midas pays to be on the list. Tire rack signs on whatever outfits wish to be on the list. The installers get more business and don't need to be bothered with stocking all of the various tires. The chain gets exposure AND while your vehicle is on the lift they might get a brake or exhaust job to add to the tires.

Reply to
Steve W.

then you 100% don't know what you're doing.

so you're a professional tire installer? no? have you ever been one? no? well that says what we need to know.

Reply to
jim beam

you mean like some people on usenet???

why don't you call up michelin and tell them they're incompetent and don't know what they're doing? i'm sure they'd love to hire an expert that can put them straight!

Reply to
jim beam

why do tire rack sell cheap carp? or to put it another way, why would midas be stooopid enough to have you as a customer?

Reply to
jim beam

??????????? that says it all!!!

you got that right at least!

Reply to
jim beam

blue bmw wrote in news:ks640h$a7s$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

You've really bought into their advertising, that's for sure.

LMAO! Since when have Germans not cared about quality?

What color is the sky on your planet?

Reply to
Doug Miller

blue bmw wrote in news:ks6482$a7s$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

So put them on yourself, and quit complaining.

Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

Reply to
Doug Miller

NOT true. Most good shops will remove the lugs with an impact and install using either torque sticks or an actual torque wrench. I know both of the local shops use sticks.

All depends on the vehicle. If it needs a special tool then it doesn't hurt to bring it. In the case of 99% of vehicles either a small bar or a screwdriver is the correct tool.

The "correct pressure" for the tire you install may not be close to the number on the door sticker. That is especially true if you use a non stock size or an entirely different make of tire. Then you go out and measure the contact patch.

Most remove added weight then spin the bare rim to see if it is true and balanced.

Reply to
Steve W.

blue bmw wrote in news:ks64ii$a7s$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Possibly by some irrational definition of "improperly" that includes failing to align some meaningless set of dots...

Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

A: The porcupine has the prick on the *outside*.

Probably to see if you had any idea...

Which is pretty reasonable, really.

So? That doesn't mean anything at all.

Seems to me you have two choices: (a) quit telling the installers how to do their jobs, and install your own damn tires instead, or (b) quit complaining.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Seems like you're falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

A BMW is just a car. Why do you need the tires lined up so specifically, or the lugs torqued just so, or the air pressures a certain way?

After all, IT'S JUST A CAR! You said it yourself.

If you want BMW-recommended service, don't take it to Joe Schmoe's Garage. Take it somewhere that specializes in BMW, or a BMW dealer.

BTW: This is a HOME IMPROVEMENT group!

Reply to
dennisgauge

you hit the nail on the head there.

When any shop encounters someone who needs special attention or equipment or procedures above or beyond their "normal", they need to just say, "sorry, can't do it, have a nice day".

in my imaginary perfect world of course.... GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

there is a third way - quote them a grossly unreasonably high price. it effectively says "f*ck off" but gets most of them to focus on the red herring, the number. it's a beautiful thing - they flounce off thinking they're slapping you in the face with rejection when in fact it's the other way about. if they figure it out later, they're already off the premises and unlikely to return. if they are stoopid enough to pay, well, i can suck up some abuse if i'm being paid enough. but even then, if they're paying a premium, most of them think they're getting extra special service!

Reply to
jim beam

I thought this dot business was a bunch of hooey (sp?). I asked google tire and wheel dots. Guess what -

DanG

jim beam wrote in news:ks7o71$smk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

In the same manner, if they're paying a premium, most of them think they're getting an extra- special car.

Reply to
Doug Miller

which neatly circles us back to bmw - and their brilliant marketing campaign.

Reply to
jim beam

Yeah! when one of my friend showed interest in buying top end M5 they really treated him like a royalty. He bought one after he went to Germany to BMW plant, had a tour, picked his car, test drove on their track. After he flew back home the car followed. When he needed a bolt, it was priced at 100.00. Oil change at dealer shop costs like 250.00. Windshield costs couple thousands. Unbelievable!!!! Of course his trip cost was included in the price of the car I am sure.

At the dealership, customer lounge is like one at air port VIP lounge. They serve meals, snacks, all kinda fresh beverage like sitting in a first class airliner. I always think car is necessary evil. As an ordinary man I just drive ordinary car. Doing some work myself on it.

I always have fun when I take out kid's car, looking at it, it is plain stock Subaru WRX STi but inside/underneath is totally redone. Always some driver comes along and wanna race. Young kids can't figure out why my Subaru is so fast. When old guy comes along and got pissed off, I can see his face turning red, Poor old soul. Didn't he notice what kinda tire on my car?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Eh, if you buy used so you're not paying their inflated prices, they're really nice cars. Traditionally they'd last forever with proper maintenance too, not sure if that is true today of any car though.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Tony, the street drag-racer. Wow.