What about no-plumbing toilets

Even the open air out house I mentioned a few posts back had a bucket of lime nearby. No out house should be without one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Back when I was young and in the Boy Scouts, all the camps still had outhouses. We were always told to put in a scoop of lime after we were finished, but no one ever told us what it was for.

Is the lime only to remove odor, or is there another reason, such as helping the poop to decompose? I've heard of adding lime to compost piles to help them decompose, so is that similar to using it in a outhouse?

Reply to
homeowner

Some of the pictures I've seen of mass graves, not necessarily full of humans, show those doing the burying of the bodies/carcases spreading lime over the collection. I always wondered why lime was used that way. I found links on the use of lime for the outhouse and mass graves. It looks like there are different forms of lime used for those purposes.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The lime only helps so much.