pumps? - water supply - no basement - freezing temps

I have a cabin in Vermont which has only about 1 or 2 feet of crawlspace underneath it. Last year we put in a well over a spring up the hill and ran a blue plastic line (buried) down to where we hoped to build an addition with a basement for a bath and kitchen. We also installed a septic tank. Now a financial problem has come along and we can't afford the addition. However, having invested in the water and septic we REALLY REALLY want a bathroom and kitchen. One idea was to buy a used camping trailer, park it in back of the cabin, put a roof over it and connect it to the cabin with a passageway and hook our water line and septic pipe to it.

In winter, we'll be gone mid-week. I know we need to drain everything and use antifreeze. I hear there are pumps that enable you to pump out your septic line. What about the water supply line? Even shut off, part will be above the freeze line. Should we make a small basement just for that one pipe? can you cover over a line with enough dirt to alter the freezing line?

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks, Joan

Reply to
Joan

If you can afford a used camper, you ought to be able to afford materials for an addition. Is it that you don't feel up to doing it yourself?

Reply to
Goedjn

At lot of people seem to want to unload campers right now and they are available for under $1000 even with all the parts working.

Reply to
Joan

And re DIY - we know nothing about construction!

Reply to
Joan

You could use a freeze-proof hydrant to feed a hose to your trailer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes, you can bury a pipe with enough dirt to keep it from freezing. Same amount as the frost line.

A septic line is mostly filled with air, fluids should drain all the way into the septic tank except for the trap. The tank should already be below the frost line. You may only need to dump 1/2 gal of diluted antifreeze to fill the trap or just blow it dry with compressed air and don't worry about gasses venting the outside.

Unless you can drain the supply line, you will need to keep it from freezing. Is there electricity on site. A 60W bulb in an insulated box with the pipe will be sufficient if it never burns out.

You will also need to drain the white, grey and black water tanks in the camper when you leave (if you have them)

Reply to
PipeDown