Low flush toilets and your sewer line

My sewer line has a gap where the cast iron and AC pipe join together. The pipe dropped a bit so I had roots in the pipe and blocked it. I had a guy come out and he cleared the line and cut the roots out with a water jet. He located the spot, not far from the house and about a foot from the edge of the asphalt driveway. He also ran his camera down the entore length of my pipe and it is clear and in good shape.
As an aside, I asked him what he thought of the low flow toilets that are now mandatory. He said he get some added business from them. In many cases, the toilet works very well and clears everything. The problem is down the line if there is not enough water to float everything down.
He tells customers to give an extra flush, especially if you use a lot of paper. He also said the best paper to use is the Scott with 1,000 sheets per roll. It breaks down better an gets carried away easier than other brands.Of course, feminine products should not be flushed.
Meantime, I have to decide what to do with my line. It works OK , but the roots will come back. He estimates about $2500 to dig in the dirt, tunnel about a foot to do the repair.
Buy the line insurance. I pay 8 a month. Need to wait 90 days for it to kick in, in 18702. Suffer for a bit.
On 7/8/2017 8:06 PM, Thomas wrote:

Oh, that is a good idea. I get mailings every couple of months. I'll have to see what the cost is.
On 7/8/2017 7:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Neighbor had the same tree root problem...until he got out the Stihl. No more tree - no more roots. Problem solved

The guest bathroom sink is up stream of the toilet and I tell everyone to be sure they wash their hands ;-)

my line, terracta pipe has been bad for perhaps 15 to 20 years. tree roots......
max tree root growth is in the spring right before the leaves open....
what i do is buy rock salt in late winter, put it in basement wash tub, add very hot water and mix with a shovel.
i leave some rocksalt in the washtub, as laundry is done, the salt kills the roots but not the trees....
i havent had the bucks to replace the line.. avoid running water for the day your doing this. lik i do it after everyone leaves for work. its so cheap it might as well be free, works fast too

Good advice.

Once per year? Once per day? Always flush twice?
On 7/9/2017 8:58 AM, Pat wrote:

I go by inches of poop. If it's less than six inches, one flush will suffice. Otoh, if it's six to twelve inches I flush twice. Twelve and over gets a triple flush.

I generally flush twice several times a day, but the second flush is a partial flush; i.e. I only wait about 10 seconds before doing the second flush.
On 7/9/2017 8:58 AM, Pat wrote:

Once per load of solids. Liquid make no difference but when you have a couple of logs and wads of paper, you want to be sure there is enough water to float it down the line.
On 7/9/2017 11:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Some people use too much paper. Always thought women worse than men because of anatomy. I had read a while back that some hotels in Greece required paper be put in a can next to the toilet but friend that travels there frequently said she had not heard of it.

That is not unusual in the 3d world.
On Thu 13 Jul 2017 02:11:42p, told us...

I'm surprised they use toilet paper.

THE MIRACLE OF TOILET PAPER
Fresh from her shower,she stands in front of the mirror complaining to her husband, Joe that her breasts are too small.. Instead of characteristically telling her it's not so, Joe uncharacteristically comes up with a suggestion.
"If you want your breasts to grow, then every day, take a piece of toilet paper and rub it between them for a few seconds."
Willing to try anything, she fetches a piece of toilet paper and stands in front of the mirror, rubbing it between her breasts. "How long will this take?"she asks??.
"Well, They will grow larger over a period of years," her husband replies.
She stopped. "Do you really think rubbing a piece of toilet paper between my breasts every day will make my breasts larger over the years?"
Without missing a beat Joe says, "Well, it sure worked for your ass, didn't it?"
Yes!! Joe's is still alive and with a great deal of therapy, he may even walk again, although he will probably continue to take his meals through a straw.
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 7:58:40 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My toilets are downstream of everything else: dishwasher, clothes washer, etc. It's all PVC right out to the municipal sewer.
Cindy Hamilton
Ed Pawlowski wrote: "My sewer line has a gap where the cast iron and AC pipe join together. The pipe dropped a bit so I had roots in the pipe and blocked it. I had a guy come out and he cleared the line and cut the roots out with a water jet. He located the spot, not far from the house and about a foot from the edge of the asphalt driveway. He also ran his camera down the entore length of my pipe and it is clear and in good shape.
As an aside, I asked him what he thought of the low flow toilets that are now mandatory. He said he get some added business from them. In many cases, the toilet works very well and clears everything. The problem is down the line if there is not enough water to float everything down.
He tells customers to give an extra flush, especially if you use a lot of paper. He also said the best paper to use is the Scott with 1,000 sheets per roll. It breaks down better an gets carried away easier than other brands.Of course, feminine products should not be flushed.
Meantime, I have to decide what to do with my line. It works OK , but the roots will come back. He estimates about $2500 to dig in the dirt, tunnel about a foot to do the repair. "
I always KNEW 'low-flush' toilets were a scam!
Going from typical 3gal flush to 1.6 was too ambitious of a reduction. Should havd gone to 2.0gallons, and that would have been a fine compromise.
As it is, we now have a bunch of double- flushers consuming 3.2 instead of 3 gallons per visit to the facilities, and the water utilities and manufacurers of these 'water saver' toilets are laughing all the way to the BANK!
Unfrickn believsble.

There are some dual flush. They vary but can be 10.0/1.6. Better would be 1.0/2.0 That would probably work better and truly save water.
Ed Pawlowsky wrote: "There are some dual flush. They vary but can be 10.0/1.6."
10.0 - as in GALLONS? Geeezesss!
"Better would be 1.0/2.0 That would probably work better and truly save water. "
If 1.6gal requires a high incidence of double flushes, what's more for 1.0gal??
2.0gallons it should be.

1.0 is plenty for urine.