How do i clean fins on window ac?

My window ac filter is clean but the fins behind it stink. I smoke and that in itself is bad but starting the ac stinks too much. It is a Kenmore 10000 about 10 years old. I have others to clean too but they are basically the same. Is google my friend? Did not ask.
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:

Cleaning is the easy part. Getting to the coil and rinsing away the cleaning solution is difficult. There are fin cleaning solutions used by commercial AC service people that you spray on and rinse but it would be difficult on a window AC. If you can turn the unit so it is fins down you could spray it and let it drain.
Ave you tried an odor eliminator, such as Febreeze? They may offer at least a temporary fix, though not really clean.
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 3:07:28 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I do the febreeze but it is beyond that. Debating whether to wait until fall. I had a hip replacement so the less heavy things i do the longer it should last. Quitting smoking is the plan but stink is stink. Might chuck them and buy new if i quit.
On 7/8/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas wrote:

Let me get this straight. You voluntarily suck cigarette smoke into your lungs but you think the AC smells worse?

Sorry I missed the original posting...so if you're still checking this thread and haven't been driven off by malcontents...and its a window unit:
I've used a disposable painters brush.
WD40...or an aerosol fin cleaner from an A/C supply house (more betta)
Spray either on and brush with the brush in the direction of the fins until clean.
If you have managed to bend up the fins you can purchase a 'comb' from the A/C supply house to correct that problem.
redvet, sound A/C maintance ideas from an excon vietnam vet :)