What to do about suckers

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Good, sharp hand-pruners.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Any other suggestions. We are currently spending about an hour a week using the hand pruners and they continue to spread.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

lawnmower

Reply to
Joe

Thanks. Actually that hasn't worked either, especially in the beds. Can't get the lawnmower up there, even then I mow high enough that it doesn't help all that much. Any chemical suggestions or would the trees be too fragile?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That's how they grow, man. There's really not a lot you can do, other than you've been doing. How old are they?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Approaching 20 years. But they seem to have really gotten out of hand just over the last 3-4 and have just recently begun to annoy us. Probably because we are getting older, too (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I been spraying suckers with Garlon. Seems to kill the suckers and trees both. Quite large trees actually. Glad to get rid of them.

Reply to
Pat

I have been using a product called sucker-stopper RTU for a few years on some fairly young trees with no ill effects so far....I believe its made by Monterey.

Lawn and Garden Products 1-559-499-2100

Reply to
news

don't know about trees, but the advice for roses is to not just cut the sucker, but dig down and try and break it off where it connects to the root so the "eye" (i'm thinking potato) or whatever they call the growing point on the root is removed. of course, it will just develop another one, but that takes longer.

granpa said there was a sucker born every minute.

ds549