need help on "rooting" a plant in water

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. I have a new Japanese Honeysuckle the was planted outdoors last May. About 3 to 4 weeks ago, when the weather was starting to get below freezing, I decided to cut a couple of branches off and try to "root" them in a glass of water. I read you leave some leaves on, but they fell off within a week. I tried to slice the bottom of the stem segments, which is where I figured the roots would start. What I have after 3 weeks, is some kind of growth coming out the pieces of branch, perhaps where the leaves were (?). I see nothing coming out of the bottom that looks "rootish". Can I somehow use these growths to start new plants? I want to grow then indoors, by a sunny window, at least for the time being (winter). If I can use them, how do I plant them? Here are two pics of them I took about 5 days ago, the growths still look healthy, but I don't want to wait too long if now is the right time to plant them. Or should I wait yet?

much in advance for any advice, as I never really worked with plants much.

Reply to
DK1000

Rooting cutting of Japanese honeysuckle in the middle of winter? What a ingenious thing to do!!!

I'm sure there are many here who can fill you in on how to do the secret fertility dance!!!!

In the cold of winter is the best time to perform this all-important ritual!!!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

They are leaves---when you brought the cuttings indoors, where it is warm, they thought it was the beginning of Spring and started sprouting. However, they are growing on the stored-up nutrients in the stem and not drawing any from a rooting system. Unless these cuttings start putting out whitish hair-like growths from the bottom of their stems they will fail to survive. Planting them in the ground or a potting medium will not change things---you have to get the roots started. If you have any kind of willow bush or tree growing around your area you can cut some of their small twigs into short pieces and put them into the water. The willow has a hormone in its bark that will stimulate your cuttings into putting out roots.

Reply to
Bill B

Reply to
Michelle

You sure could, but not with water. With root-tone you would use a planter mix so the hormone would stay in contact with the rooting portion of the cutting.

Michelle wrote:

Reply to
Bill B

Transplant solutions contain IBA, IAA -- same stuff as in Rootone, but in liquid form -- along with vitamin B6, which might or might not be helpful.

As for willow water, if suitable donor willows are unavailable, try plain old aspirin, about 1 baby aspirin per quart of water. The active component in WW is really nothing more than salicylic acid. Function is to keep the wounded xylem from sealing over, keeping the cutting's circulation flowing.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Thanks all for the advice. I just took Father Haskell's hint and threw in about a half of one of those 81 mg "healthy heart" aspirins into the water (a clear 16 oz beer mug), as well as recut the stems on the bottom. I seen nothing at all coming off the bottom. I remember I have a little bottle of this liquid that you're supposed to put on the roots when transplanting plants into the ground in the spring. Is that the stuff you mentioned that has IBA, etc? Should I throw in a couple of drops? Will part of one of those Miracle Grow plant food spikes in the water (or even Miracle Grow powder) help with/instead of the other stuff? Thanks again.

Reply to
DK1000