What kind of tree is this?

I know this group has had zillions of requests to IDENTIFY THIS PLANT. Please indulge me for another.

What kind of tree is this?

The leaves were dark red, the tree had bright red berries about 1/2 inch in size, and the tree was about 8-10 feet tall. Pictures available at

. These pictures were taken in Roanoke, Virginia, USA, in the fall (November 2005).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one, Dagwood?

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in message news:TM0pf.4021$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net

Those don't look like the fruit of any dogwood I have ever seen.

Reply to
Travis M.

You need to get out more.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Here's a link that will answer your question-------

Bill B

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in message news:kkapf.4085$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com

Would you like to finance a trip to Florida for me?

Reply to
Travis M.

don't be so hard if my husband can mistake a mule for a horse than anything is possible. his direct quote was "wow what an ugly horse what the H*** kind is it?" so not knowing what a dogwood tree looks like isn't so bad

Reply to
Michelle

I know Dogwood. I have 3 of them in my yard but none of them have fruit like the OP posted. Since I am *not* in Florida I don't have a Cornus florida.

Reply to
Travis M.

Cornus Florida is not just native to Florida.. It is native to all woodlandsfrom Missouri east to the atlantic and south from florida to north Ohio...

And that tree isnt a Cornus florida ( flowering dogwood) It is a Cornus Kousa ie. Kousa dogwood. The strawberr-ish fruit is a dead giveaway

Virgo91967 Ky Nursery & Landscape Association Certified Nurseryman

Reply to
Anthony B

Thank you to everyone who wrote.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

In the Pacific Northwest, dogwood is a bush called bunchberry. (Cornus canadense)

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I suppose it is your lame attempt at humor confusing a species epithet with the name of a state and you really aren't that stupid.

You obviously don't know the "flowering" dogwoods at all.

Cornus florida is found throughout much of the eastern US, is very cold hardy and widely grown as a hardy tree with several named cultivars with showy bracts in white, pink or red. There are even named hybrids available between it and Cornus nuttalii and Cornus kousa.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

I have a Cornus kousa and the fruit does not look like those the OP referred.

Reply to
Travis M.

In the PNW the native dogwood (Pacific Dogwood or Western Dogwood) is Cornus nuttallii. It is native from Northern California to to British Columbia. Cornus canadensis (Bunch Berry)is native from Northern California to Alaska.

Reply to
Travis M.

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in message news:gOFpf.4172$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net

I have never been to the Eastern US.

Reply to
Travis M.

You should get out more. There is much more to life than playing with your computer.

Will your mommy let you do a Google search so that you can find out more about the various and many other species of "dogwood" (Cornus) that you still know nothing about?

Cereus-validus-...........

Is there a possiblity it is a ilex aquifolium.. "J.C. van Tol".. ??

Reply to
bizaareguy

None whatsoever!!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in message news:yPKpf.4176$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net

My mommy died in 1974 but before she died she warned me about top posting jerks.

Reply to
Travis M.

The message from "Travis M." contains these words:

I'm going to dig up your mommy so she can teach you to edit.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough