Help identify this tree -- acorns but not oak leaves

Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

The bark was unremarkable, vaguely like a thousand varieties of deciduous trees (elm, oak, maple, etc).

It was located in Tamarack, West Virginia.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

Ted any chance you can be a bit more vague? I'll place my hands on the screen and see what appears. Leafs vs. Leaves matters btw.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

I'd google "oak leaves" and look in the image category. There are different kinds. Maybe you'll find yours.

Reply to
Frank

In message , Ted Shoemaker writes

If you were in Europe I'd suggest something like Holm Oak (Quercus ilex). In America, perhaps one of the Live Oaks.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's probably some variety of live oak. You can find some examples of the leaves with Google Images.

Brian

Reply to
Default User

I had a peek in my trusty old Fieldbook of Natural History and found

Live Oak, Quercus virginiana, from VA to FLA and Shingle Oak, Q. imbricaria. from NJ to GA

Just to give you a start.

\Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Wow. I learned something. Thank you.

I had thought that all oak leaves were multi-lobed.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

In the future you might find this site useful:

through the "interview" and select the items you are sure of. It will produce a list of possibilities with the info you gave it. Works best with native species, at least that has been my experience with it.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

From the sketchy description, I'd guess a "laurel" oak (Quercus hemisphaerica) or "swamp laurel" oak (Quercus laurifolia). The two species are basically indistinguishable to a casual observer. The leaves of both more closely resemble laurel leaves than do those of "live" oak (Quercus virginiana): They are much thinner and flatter and, as a rule, less deeply geen-colored. However, both are fairly uncommon, though not unseen, in the US state of West Virginia.

Balvenieman