Identify this tree

This tree is growing in the yard of a friend. The original owner of his home was an exotic tree collector. He has many unusual specimens in the yard. No one seems to know what type of tree this one is. It is growing in south western New Jersey where it is not unusual for winter temperatures to drop below 0 on really cold winter nights. The thee is about 20 feet tall and is probably 25 years old. It is growing below a canopy of very tall oak trees.

scott(remove_to_reply)

Definitely don't want to 'rake up the leaves' from that tree!

Reply to
puddles

Reply to
Stubby

Lots of BIG leaves... show us the bark....

Reply to
Helen

Reply to
G Henslee

Definitely NOT a catalpa tree. The leaves are too large and the wrong shape. I think its some hardy tropical species.

Ben

Stubby wrote:

Reply to
Ph47f3

It's an Umbrella Magnolia. For sure.

Reply to
JoeMorgan

Joe,

You are absolutely right. I have looked at some pictures on the net and they all look exactly like the tree.

Thanks!

snipped-for-privacy@here.now wrote:

Reply to
scott(remove_to_reply)