Tree suckers

My aspens are starting to send numerous suckers into my lawn.

Is there any kind of spray that I can put on them that will get rid of them but not kill my tree?

Reply to
firengn123

I think any spray that would kill the suckers is also likely to kill the tree. I would just continue to mow them down or individually pull them (being careful not to harm the root system). I have crape myrtles that did the same thing, but they eventually stopped putting out suckers after I cut them back a few times.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Quaking Aspen send up suckers and there is nothing that will stop them. They have a shallow root system, and create a whole grove by suckering. I have suckers come up that do not seem to be anywhere near the Aspens!! If the parent tree is large and established, hitting the suckers with a spot spray of Weed-B-Gone will not lead to enough herbicide going into the main tree to damage it. Do not use Roundup, as it will damage the entire plant. Otherwise, it is a ongoing job of cutting them off just below the ground. We have many Aspen in the neighborhood, so the job never really ends.

DP

Reply to
DP