Wall speaker jacks

Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

One of the best sources for information and products I've seen is Smarthome.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi, It is not a good idea to turn on/off at the speaker end with a switch. In that case you use a Pad like volume control maintaining proper Z load on the speaker circuit. Or you control speakers at the amp. end possibly with a remote. Some amps. have multi-zone A/V capability.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No, and for good reason. You can mess up an amp when the speaker power has no load. Most amps will have On/Off controls, many are equipped with separate speaker systems. For example, my Yamaha amp can play the radio in my theater room or kitchen or both.

Reply to
Phisherman

You need something like one of these:

, but not that the selector is at a central location, not at the wall jack.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Thanks! Can you recommend a receiver with many zones. Yours sounds like it has just two... I would like five or six.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I've safely run\\controlled mutiple speakers using Niles products.

gilb

I second the Niles recommendation - very nice stuff. I'm running four pairs through this:

They also make a six pair selector:

RicodJour