Sound proof a speaker

I don't know if this is the correct NG. Please advise.

I have two small speakers (4 x 4) in my living room and I want to build a small box to cover one to try and muffle or eliminate the sound as much as possible. I can't disconnect it or put an on/off switch in the wire.What material is best for this.

Reply to
Mel

You want to build an air tight heavy box. Adding some sort of sound absorbing material would also help, that could be old towels or acoustical material.

Now I have to ask why can't you "disconnect it or put an on/off switch in the wire?"

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

From the sound of your post you can't get at the wires, a simple snip would take care of the speaker. If you can remove the faceplate stuff a cloth over the speaker to keep the cone from moving then re-attach the grill. As far as the building routine... a couple pieces of luan or plywood with a

1"x1" border and fill it with the foam rubber they ship hard-drives in should cancel most of the sound,

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

are you sure you dont have a balance control,, most things do

Reply to
mark Ransley

This in on a new computer. I run the left speaker to another room with a speaker extension wire so the wife can listen to her radio station. The right speaker is the control speaker. A wire runs out of it to the left speaker. I just don't want to mess with it and screw up the warranty. When the left speaker is playing in the other room I would like to slip something on the right speaker and mute it while I am working on the computer.

Reply to
Mel

Don't bother. Start looking at your computer. There should be one or more volume controls for the speaker. You will access and control these on screen. You should be able to adjust the balance control so either of the two speakers is operating and the other is quiet. The volume control on the speaker will still work as it does now and will control whatever speaker or speakers are working.

Try looking in the control panel of your computer or on the bottom right of the screen. If you find one that has just a single volume control see if you can expand it for more controls, or look for another.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Right click on the speaker icon on the task bar

Click on Open Volume Controls

On the Master Out panel slide the slider to the side you want to listen to. The other side should be muted

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Computer speakers are cheap and have nothing to do with the main system warranty. As has been suggested, just set the audio balance to full left, and there will be no sound from the right speaker. Or just go into the speaker and put in a mute switch for that speaker - you won't void the whole system warranty for that.

Reply to
James Gifford

Probably any soft polyurethane foam. The stuff is used in anechoic chambers, recording studios, etc. It is much "deader" than foam rubber used in seating. Finding a source may be a little difficult, but some upholstery might be useful. Give it a try..

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

quoting:

MEL: just go into your audio settings are adjust the speaker balance.

Reply to
JM

Besides the obvious which everyone pointed out--turn the balance control on the one speaker (usually the right) to cut off the speaker you don't want to hear--it's easy to build a box. Forget the stuff the people tell you about using foam and insulation,etc as they are talking about reducing bounce and noise within a room. What you want to do is eliminate transmission from one room to another (from the inside the bot to outside the box), and they way you do that is by using dense (heavy) material. Ideally you would build the box out of lead. Realistically, if you build your box out of 3/4 plywood and just set it over the speaker, it will probably cut the sound to practically zero and be sure to use some foam on the open end so it will seal down to the desk the speaker is on. If not, line the inside with some soft stuff, e.g., foam; it won't due much but it will make you feel better,. And if that doesn't work for you, build the box out of 2" material, also build a top (actually the bottom which the speak will be set on) and then set a couple of sock full of sand on top of the box. Or if you really want quiet, build the box as a two layer box with about 2 inches between the inside and outside layer and fill the space between the two layers with sand. Guarantee, that you won't hear that speaker through the sand filled box.

A lot of work when you could just turn a knob that you already have, but now you know what k>

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:07:15 -0400 "Charlie Bress" posted:

I want to contribute something but you beat me to it. OK, double left clicking on the speaker icon may open the same window. :)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

Why don't you just stick a 'Y' adapter in your audio-out, and put one set of speakers in each room? That way you get both channels, and can unplug whatever you don't want to listen to.

Reply to
Goedjn

Mel:

M > This in on a new computer. I run the left speaker to another room with a M > speaker extension wire so the wife can listen to her radio station. The M > right speaker is the control speaker. A wire runs out of it to the left M > speaker. I just don't want to mess with it and screw up the warranty. Whe

M > the left speaker is playing in the other room I would like to slip somethin

M > on the right speaker and mute it while I am working on the computer.

If you're handy with a soldering iron I'd suggest getting an extension cable to connect between the computer and speaker wire. Cut the appropriate speaker lead, insert a SPDT switch. Center terminal goes to the computer, one end goes to the cut wire, other to a resistor of the same resistance as the speakers. Other end of the resistor goes to the ground wire (probably the shield).

Computer ___________________________ =)=======___________ o___________============( =(=========>

New |____o Original Extension Wire o----Res-- Spkr Wire Switch _|_ (shield)

Another option would be to replace the switch with a volume control so you could turn the radio's volume down at your speaker. Same general idea. Unfortunately I forget what value potentiometer (vol.ctrl) is needed to control what ohm load.

  • Hello, my name is Hugh, I'm a painter.
Reply to
barry martin

Thanks to all for your suggestions. But the only solution is a sound proof box to put over the speaker. I do have some lead sheeting and will use that to line the inside of a box I have already made.

Reply to
Mel

If the speakers are connected to the computer with a pin plug, Try pulling it partially out.

Reply to
Joe Bartoldus

Actually the only load on an audio amp are the speakers. The line inputs are usually bridged with a 10k ohm resistor and just reads variations in potential.Unplugging one side at line level would just mean no variation in voltage=no signal and would not harm this or any amp.Having only one speaker connected I agree would be a bad idea but that was not what I suggested.

However I like the adjusting the balance idea. Joe

Reply to
Joe Bartoldus