Is this ng active?

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show anything since January 2004.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Nope, there's nobody here but us chickens. And a few hundred messages every day.0

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Nope - too busy woodworking to post

Reply to
Vic Baron

Gotta wonder how he's going to see these responses if his ISP hasn't updated in over a year...

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

I wondered about that too, but I figured that he had something worked out. You know, a seance, ouija board, something like that.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Yep, your News Service (TeraNews) is seriously screwed. If you can read this (and if you can, then your problem is solved), you probably need to unsubscribe, then re-subscribe to the newsgroup. Teranews probably re-indexed something.

Used to use them for a little while; they were down more than they were up, I could only see about 1 of every 10 abpf postings. SuperNews on the other hand has been hassle and worry free.

Mark & Juanita

shhh.... we're in stealth mode..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Uh... it was a test. I couldn't believe that the ng had died as it used to be very active, but I wasn't seeing anything. So, I thought I try a post to see it if showed up. It didn't, so something had to be wrong. It seems to be working now. I just got 27,000 headers. Still not sure what was wrong. Moonspots?

Reply to
LurfysMa

Will that help? What does it do?

I think you are right. I've only been with them a few weeks. It was great for a week or so, but nothing but trouble since.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Don't you know that 90% of woodworkers are old milkshakes and don't know how to operate a computer! :-)

KIDDING!

Reply to
Larry Bud

What 're-indexing' does is _change_ all the article numbers. *ON*THE*SERVER*.

Your newsreader "thinks" you've seen articles through "number 87 gazillion and 4", because that was the number of the last article you read, and _now_ the server is dishing up article numbers in the low thousands. Smaller than before, so these *must* be 'previously read' articles, and your news- READER program therefore doesn't show them to you.

The 'fix' for that particular issue is to tell the newsreader program to 'forget' what it knows about previously-read articles, and start over.

Unsubscribing, and then re-subscribing, *may* accomplish that 'forgetting'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It actually seems to be in remission now but will undoubtedly become active again soon.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I thought we were hunting wabbits. Or was it tree rats.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

More likely the news server burped.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

But it would be so easy to just _try_....

Reply to
Old Nick

Couldn't be your browser settings....

Reply to
Mark Thieme

Less likely. Servers burp every now and then and repost a bunch of stuff. We went through this about a year and a half ago as I recall. Most people don't play with their settings, so if it just happens without having done anything, it's usually the server.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax