Two recent incidents might be of interest to group

Bought a grill heat shield at Lowes yesterday with shelf price of $19.99 which I thought was high but decided to buy anyway so I took it to self checkout and was charged $3.99. Thought they had screwed up on posted price but came home and found the $3.99 price in their online catalog. Other internet sources show ~$20 to 30 so I think they screwed up in the computer.

Today I emailed a quote request to our trash hauler to price pick up of a twin bed box spring and mattress and they said I needed to call an 800 number which I did and it just referred to a survey. Emailed it back that they had sent me a crap number and they sent a correct number. On phone they said $60 which I thought was high and while on the phone with them got and additional email from them that it would cost $15. I told the girl on the phone and she agreed to the $15 and scheduled pickup for next week.

I guess two home owner incidents where the hand doesn't know what the foot is doing.

Reply to
Frank

Been there...seen that.

This is not home related but it is "a recent price quote" related:

I called Enterprise car rental for a quote today. After giving the rep my specs, she quoted me a price of $474. I then asked her to check the rate if I picked up the car from a neighborhood location instead of the airport - $710.

Wow! That's surprising, it's usually a little less at a neighborhood location, not hundreds of dollars more. "OK, I'll take the $474 at the airport."

"Sorry that rate is no longer available. Airport pick up will be $756."

Wait...what? $756? What happened?

"Rates are subject to change until a reservation is booked. Then your rate is locked in."

"It's only been 30 seconds. How could it go up more than $200 in 30 seconds?"

"I don't set the rates sir. Would you like to make a reservation?"

"No! See ya...bye. I'm out of here."

I hung up, called back and got a different representative. All quotes from her were in the $700+ range. When we were done I told her what had happened just a few minutes ago. She said that there was no way the rate for the specs I gave her would have jumped up $200+ in 30 seconds. The first rep obviously made a mistake when she quoted the $474.

I wonder what would have happened if I had tried to book that $474 reservation when she first quoted it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03