treehouse attachment bolts

A company was sued on Pipple's Court for nol returning a deposit after taking too long to finish a treehouse.

The respondent said that one of the delays was waiting 7 days until treehouse attachment bolts were ground-shipped to his company.

The company is called Treehouseblahblahblah. If the only thing the company does is build treehouses, shouldn't it keep treehouse attachment bolts in stock?

Reply to
micky

I don't recognize the company name, but was it Pete Nelson's company?

I used to watch his show, Treehouse Masters.

Just because you order something doesn't mean you can dictate delivery times. What the basis of their defense?

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I think it was treehousebrothers.com but that forwards to a Facebook page. They also have a twitter acct but it seems no webpage.

I should say that they won the lawsuit. the judge consideed the plaintiffs too impatient.

No.

What I mean is that if it takes 6 or 8 to put up a treehouse and you do

10 in a year, you should stock 50 and order more when you're down to 20.

So you won't ever run out.

Now they come in different sizes I suppose, and I don't know how many sizes they use .

The bolts took 7 days. He was in a traffic accident and totalled his truck. I think he was sick. I think he took a week's vacation

The other 3 reasons are beyond my judgment, but the bolts seemed like a crummy excuse and maybe even a lie. Not that bolts didn't arrive on the day he said, but I would think he had at least one other set already in his possession.

And I lost track of how much later than when they paid the 7500 deposit they lost patience. It was August but I missed the start date.

But the judge thought they wee impatient and refunded 1500 for materials he bought and could use again. So they lost 6000 and a couple months, and have to start over.

The kids looked like they were 5 and 6 or 7. .And they wee being rewarded for good grades. But I think unless the kids were delinquents they woudl have gotten the tree house and the parents should have started earlier.

Reply to
micky

The despotic democrat governors shut down non-essential businesses for a few months.

You think that might have an effect on the supply of treehouse bolts?

Reply to
Woody

I have no idea what the bolts for this cost. There must be a reason the builder didn't go to the local lumber yard or hardware store to buy them. Maybe this particular job is a bit out out of the ordinary. Have you heard of just in time inventory management? Inventory sitting on the shelf is similar to the can of change people have on their shelf or wherever. It's just sitting there not even earning interest. Wisegeek says

I think of this sometimes when I go to the local hardware store. It might cost me ten times their cost if I just want a few bolts or whatever. I don't care because I need just the few whatevers. It must cost them a small fortune just to have so many choices for their customers.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

And if you insist that the job be completed by a certain date, that should be in the contract. Otherwise, if it takes longer and you don't like it, you can go to court and a judge decides what's reasonable. And like you say, I'm surprised Covid isn't on the list of reasons for a slower than normal completion by itself.

Reply to
trader_4

Since the facts of the case extended to August, and only then did they sue, and the show was on tv on the 21st of August and it takes time to produce the show, I'm sure it was last summer, or even the summer before, and the show was produced before the virus. (also, since no one is wearing a mask and everyone is sitting close together.)

Usually I erase these things as soon as I watch them but maybe not this time and I may be able to give firm answers to all the questions later.

Reply to
micky

Surely you have _SOMETHING_ better to do...

dpb

On 8/22/2020 3:46 AM, micky wrote: ...

Well, at from $65 to $200 per each, that'd be tying up a lot of capital in inventory -- particularly when wouldn't know a priori which size one would be needing for any given job...

dpb

Many companies do not keep much if any stock on hand. I just had to order a refrigerator that is going to take about a month or more to get here. Nothing very special about it. Just wanted to replace one that is working but is 16 years old and wanted to make sure I could get what the wife wanted.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Of course...nothing unusual for higher-cost items of unknown likelihood of having demand for. It would be foolish to do otherwise.

For what is undoubtedly a pretty-much one-man business in the tree-house business, it would be highly unlikely to keep anything on hand but use the customer down payment to cash flow materials. One would think one would build the delivery times into schedules, but "stuff happens!" or maybe the guy just isn't very bright to order what is needed on the first go. Or maybe the customer changed the design, who knows.

It's gotten bad even for ordinary hardware and farm supplies; the retailers including the local Ace (altho everybody in town is Ace-affiliated even if not the actual Ace store which is also a pain since nobody has anything from any other suppliers) have almost quit restocking until inventory is at almost zero or is out in a whole range of a given category.

One told me it has to do with how their purchasing discounts are figured--they have to purchase so much in order to get the discount they wait. I keep reminding them they can't sell what they don't have and after a few times of wanting a 1/2 or 3/4 merchant coupling and they're still out, even as much as I want to support local, one finally has to give up and order online. And, when do, like them, will order enough to make shipping economical on a per piece basis which removes a bunch of future sales besides.

So far, the argument doesn't seem to have made any impression, but I'm sure they're losing business they don't need to do...

--

Reply to
dpb

It would be for the local store to do that. Looks like they would have a warehouse in each state or near by state that would stock things, but Lowes and Queen City both put me on a months or more waiting list.

Seems also that they should not make slightly different versions of the same refrigerator. One may have one more shelf or draw than the other.

A number of years ago I was told that was done at the request of different stores. They advertise price matching or beating + 10%. With a minor change the store can point out it is not the same unit.

The car companies found out a number of years ago to put many of the options on 2 or 3 modles such as a LE,XLE, SE. About the only difference in most of them of the smae series is what a dealer can install or the color.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The man in the mirror asked me the same thing.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I was going to look up the price, but hadn't. Thanks. Yes, 50 would be too many.

But if one size were commonly used, you'd only be tying it up until the next treehouse that used it, maybe a month. (I think he does more than

10 a year. He said it takes a couple weeks to fabricate at t he shop then about a week to install on the tree.

And I had thought about maybe needing different sizes. Apparently they are designed so the tree can get wider but the bolts are still okay.

Interesting.

Reply to
micky

It was summer of 2017.

Okay I played it again and they sent the check on July 9 and they received it on July 11. Then she pulled the plug on August 13th I think it was, when He said he'd be there the following monday. . She said 4 or 5 weeks, maybe it was 33 days. That's too soon, I agree with the judge.

There was more to it. She iddn't believe his excuses, wasn't convinced t he materials ordered were for their project,

One time he texted in reply to her text that he was at a funeral and would reply later.

OTOH, the contractor said that in week 4, the guy called and said he was an important person and would send Vinny and Rocko over to have a talk with him. Then he asked the contractor if the call was being recorded. He said no, unfortunately, and first guy said, So it's your word against mine. The guy denied this of course.

Reply to
micky

That sounds like an excellent logistical idea, especially if you are used to having predictable s.e.b.i.t.d.a (sales and/other earnings before interest, death or annuity), which is normal for Pacific rim business.

Reply to
bruce bowser

That sounds like an order from China. Maybe the local guy was on back order. There are far too many places to buy bolts to screw with that kind of crap.

Reply to
gfretwell

It sounds like you aren't sure what a tree attachment bolt is. It's not something you'll find at your local hardware store.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

On 8/24/2020 3:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

There aren't too many folks have these, presuming they're the hardware in question...

dpb

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 17:48:48 -0500, dpb posted for all of us to digest...

Thanks for that link, learned something today.

Reply to
invalid unparseable