Treehouse restaurant

There are many, many things I like about this:

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l14g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Long walk to the toilets apparently so go easy on the beer ...

Wouldn't work on the other side of the Tasman - mozzies, possums etc

Reply to
troppo

Umm, didn't you see that there are slots all over the walls? Whizzing from a great height is one of the best things about being a guy.

RicodJour

It is nice, looking like a sliced onion, offset, although the treehouse, itself, seems only to consist of seating as opposed to the cooking as well. Very outdoorsy too.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Point taken. Another point is that trees haven't grown in isolation of life, of reality, like heavy winds, ice storms, trees/rocks/etc., that fall on them, and animals that climb up, and swing and live in them.

...and build restaurants in them.

Life is iffy, so do nothing.

Reply to
Warm Worm

You're good with numbers. Run these through the wetware: How much load does that restaurant add to the tree? What is the estimated weight of the tree by itself? How much does the added load affect the base tree load? Hint: round the final answer to zero.

For extra credit, due to the much more complex calculations, provide a similar estimate of wind loading with and without the treehouse.

A treehouse restaurant has much less impact on the environment than building one from scratch on the ground. In fact the treehouse affects primarily just one tree. But you already know that.

RicodJour

I think, in general, separating the cooking area from the dining area in a restaurant is wise. Particularly when trying to achieve an open feeling to the place and with little control over the wind.

RicodJour

Agreed. It would make for a more quiet experience too.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Did you ever see that movie by Peter Greenaway, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover? I always picture the kitchen in a fine restaurant being like that. ;)

BTW, I don't think I congratulated you on your sweater. Looks like a very nice job. How long have you been knitting?

RicodJour

Yes, it was one of many we viewed in film classes. I'll see if I can find a Y.Tube of the kitchen sequence.

Thanks, I didn't think it would fit as well as it does, and as such, felt some trepidation approaching its finish.

The neck is a little tight at the cast-off row, and it's stretching a little on the shoulders, which is really only noticeable to me, but I might pull it and make a better fit anyway, seeing as I'm beginning to rollerblade in it.

I've been knitting very sporadically since about 2004, and have knit 3 scarves (all given as gifts) and this 1 sweater so far. I'm now in the process of fixing (or making a mess of?) an old grandmother-knit sweater of mine and figuring out what kind of sweater I want to knit next.

So did you say you wanted to do some stuff your girlfriend is doing, like felting? 'Knit' felting? Apparently, there are different kinds of felting that don't require knitting.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Wow. The sweater didn't look _that_ big! I'm surprised you can turn around in it, much less rollerblade. ;)

She's a knitter and crocheter, so that is how she is approaching it. I just want to make stuff and learn, so felting from roving and using the big sushi rolling mat appeals to me. There are some videos of a Russian felt boot making company on YouTube - Valenki is the company name. Looks fun! It's like a sauna and a workshop all rolled into one. As long as it's co-ed, I'm fine with that. ;)

Making felt boots really appeals to me. I also have some assorted other projects where felt would be a nice feature/accent. Currently I'm helping her set up a craft studio so she can get more serious about the work, and I won't have to work in shabby conditions. I like an efficient and tidy workshop. I'm toying with the idea of getting a knitting machine, but that's one of those slippery slopes. I could see myself spending all sorts of money buying equipment and accessories...and then deciding I want to learn how to weave!

RicodJour

In the image, some of the edges might be rolled in a little, given that some weren't yet entirely seamed, but I'm fairly slim still. Knitting is naturally stretchy too (more so, also, a ribbed pattern, as this is), and since it's a raglan sleeve, apparently the lack of seam on the top of the shoulder can render that area to more stretching than if there was a seam (especially if you blade hard with a backpack with laptop and assorted contents). When I fix the neck and pull the rows out down to the shoulder-seams, it will be re-knit with a tighter tension/(smaller needles), and the last two neck rows at the top will flair (imperceptibly) with an added couple of stitches each maybe. That way I can get my head through a little easier. :)

I'm a little bothered by how it seems to be starting to matte already, speaking of felting, which is what you get with cheap acrylic I guess.

I've also been casually reading about designing my own knitwear patterns, (so I'm not looking forever for a pattern I like), and may have just figured out the gist: If the number of knit stitches and rows are known in a given self- specified dimension-- say, 10 inches of a test-swatch-- then this row/ stitch swatch "grid" can then be transposed and "rubber-stamped" into the sweater's pieces' measurements to form the precise number of overall stitches and rows across the pieces. (This really looks to be much along the lines of tailor work!)

I wonder if Valenki are knitted first-- how they look before.

I have never heard of Valenki before, but they look nice, some even cute with all the designs and embroidery, as though a chubby rosy- cheeked Matryoshka, herself, might wear some. :) But what are their soles made of? (classically) Leather?

In what sense? For yourself to wear and/or the process?

In one of the videos of Valenki-making (Russia Today), I noticed a shirtless guy and a lot of steam, so that's probably the shrinking/ felting process.

Anything you wish to divulge?

Cool. I'd love to co-own a cafe/craft studio co-op. I owned a Singer knitting machine before when I was 18 and too impatient to learn. The idea was to make money knitting. I think you have to know how to hand-knit first in order to finish the garments, but perhaps there are machines that do more than the one I had. I ran across something online yesterday called a knitting loom, BTW, but it looks very simple.

Anyway, I think knitting's "the perfect craft", and highly recommend it. For one, you can take your work with you anywhere. It's mobile, practical, cost-effective and self-empowering in a way.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Perhaps... That and maybe taking them out of school entirely.

That sharp and meltable cheddar cheese I was thinking of BTW, is this one:

little pricier at this site and than I thought, but I've seen it for less. I'd say 1/8th of it may go about as far as the cheesy pouch. Add some lightly steamed broccolli.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Probably half of adults couldn't spell algebra. I don't look for everyone to have the same interests, knowledge or capabilities. I just want to know everything and be able to do it all. I do not see an inconsistency there - a delusion, maybe, but no inconsistency. ;)

Sorry to hear about Lynne's brother, Ken - pass on my condolences. As a bike rider I know it's a tough world and a tougher one when you're on two wheels.

RicodJour